Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gaznav
@oakworth

I’ve put my thoughts in italics for your rebuttal :thumright:

1. How often do you fly within 4ft of your nearest traffic for hours on end, in the poorest weather possible? How often do you drive within 4ft of traffic where you are going to collide with it? Collision is normally fore/aft and “only a fool breaks the 2 second rule”?

2. The risk of collision when driving is significantly higher, ergo the need to be alert in order to avoid it is also higher. The consequence of driving collision is way lower though. Even if a full-on shunt then it is normally survivable in a car. A full-on mid air is normally fatal in a GA aircraft.

3. Is there such a thing as ‘air rage’, ‘tailgating’, ‘fly by shootings’ (on the plus side, there is no airborne equivalent of dogging). LOL - I have seen some pretty big rants on the ground when people have been cut up in the circuit that have been within a gnat’s cock of coming to blows.

4. Who is better skilled and qualified: the people you share the sky with or those you share the road with? As James Chan has pointed out, the flyer. You need to have and retain far more skills than the average driver. For starters, the driver only has to deal with 2 dimensions, whereas the flyer deals with 3 dimensions. Further, the level of knowledge required to remain proficient as a flyer is way more. Finally, the complexity of emergencies for a flyer is way more - mostly for the motorist it is to pull over and wait for the AA or RAC.

:thumright:
Well done old chap, by the time you got to point 4 we were in agreement, I.e. of course our flying brethren are far more skilled and qualified which is why I believe driving is more dangerous, and yes I have had enough near death flying experiences over the past 35 years to back up the statement. However, ‘‘twas only a bit of fun to liven up the APPG thread.
gaznav liked this