Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By foxmoth
#1703727
Those of us who fly grown up aeroplanes rather than toys or left overs from a bygone age


And what aeroplanes are those - ones where you put the autopilot on and get your flask of coffee out? Personally I would much rather have my “toy” that I can do some real flying in than just an aerial carriage!
(And BTW what I fly for work is probably far more of a “grown up” aeroplane than you fly!) :roll:
JAFO liked this
By Chris Martyr
#1703741
Anyone can be 'the big fish' . Depends how small the tank is .

But in John's defence , I'm sure he didn't mean that to come across quite as pompous as it sounded. :D
User avatar
By JAFO
#1703758
Chris Martyr wrote:...in John's defence , I'm sure he didn't mean that to come across quite as pompous as it sounded. :D


That's good because he did sound very, very pompous.
User avatar
By TheFarmer
#1703760
Attacking personal choice of aerial carriage was a little bizarre, but his choice to do so.

John - I was just giving my view on the organisation. What we all fly is irrelevant. Like many people, if I had to fly something with a nose wheel that did it all for me, I wouldn’t bother. In the same way I’m sure you’d hate to have to slum it in an LAA tailwheel type!

We are all different.
By johnm
#1703766
TheFarmer wrote:John - I was just giving my view on the organisation. What we all fly is irrelevant. Like many people, if I had to fly something with a nose wheel that did it all for me, I wouldn’t bother. In the same way I’m sure you’d hate to have to slum it in an LAA tailwheel type!

We are all different.


Ain't that the truth, however I think your attack on AOPA was misguided to put it mildly. It is the only one of the organisations that represents the broad church of GA and has international connections and a seat at ICAO. As such it is a key route into the global regulatory system that affects us all. All of the other alphabet soup organisations play in a niche. Which is why you are in LAA 'cos that's your niche and I'm in PPL/IR 'cos that's my niche. I follow the recommendation I've given to many others .....support AOPA's major work and join the one that suits your flying. Hence I'm in AOPA and PPL/IR.
GrahamB, kanga, derekf liked this
User avatar
By foxmoth
#1703785
John,
I hardly think your post about “toys” is likely to encourage people with those aircraft to join AOPA, with that post I suspect many will think AOPA is just for knobs with posh aircraft and you deterred a number of pilots from joining!
JAFO, cockney steve liked this
By johnm
#1703787
foxmoth wrote:John,
I hardly think your post about “toys” is likely to encourage people with those aircraft to join AOPA, with that post I suspect many will think AOPA is just for knobs with posh aircraft and you deterred a number of pilots from joining!


I'm slightly alarmed that some people may have taken it seriously :oops:
User avatar
By Flyin'Dutch'
#1703791
John, you are serious and therefore people take you serious.

:D
johnm liked this
User avatar
By nickwilcock
#1703826
Whether you fly some 'product of a bygone age' (does that include a Spitfire, I wonder?), a home built light a/c, an ancient spamcan with a radio that just about works, a "Look at me - I'm considerably richer then yow" Gucci-glass aeroplane worth £500K or a private jet, AOPA treats everyone as equals.

There is NO aopartheid towards members or potential members.

Oh and Farmer, I can arrange a Sukhoi at your convenience, but Mombasa and a solar eclipse might be a bit trickier... :wink:
johnm, kanga, patowalker liked this
User avatar
By CloudHound
#1703854
Right. Decided. Sticking with my AOPA (for reasons as explained) membership and LAA 'coz I have to for CloudHound's sake.

Now, how do I tell you this?

I've been invited to display the Stinson at Revival.

Take cover!!!
johnm liked this