Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mmcp42
let's say I want to go to Calais, just to have a go at the approach, then return to UK without landing
I can see that a flight plan is required (especially if going IFR)
but do I need to file a GAR?
thanks
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think this is one to be referred to the border force for clarification.

My gut reaction would be - Yes you do need a GAR, as
(1) you have left UK airspace - and are returning from “foreign” territory.
(2) Your f/plan will say inbound from Calais.

I wouldn’t want to try to argue the point “my wheels never touched the ground officer. I got down to 50 ft, but I never touched the ground - honest guv !”
mmcp42 wrote:let's say I want to go to Calais, just to have a go at the approach, then return to UK without landing
I can see that a flight plan is required (especially if going IFR)
but do I need to file a GAR?
thanks

Seems you have to file GAR for any GA flight that crosses UK borders :thumleft:

I inquired BF about needing a GAR for a flight Southend-Ostend-Southend that stays in Ostend airside, obviously they come back with GAR is needed :twisted: but 2h notice is ok-ish this time :mrgreen: , note that both airports have permanent customs with no PNR and have airside International Zones

I doubt going to Calais (need PNR and no IZ) and then back to a UK grass strip does not need a GAR but I guess you also need to let French douaniers and Lille ATC know about your plans as well, to avoid confusion half-way channel :lol:

The GAR form is very convenient, I will never complain about, the physical stop is a different story depending on who you deal with: you may get away with quick taxi stop or even touch-and-go but sometimes you have to weak-up madame/children, unload the whole boot and drag everything to the terminal to scan the bags, old X-ray machines takes 25 min to warm-up :shock:
mmcp42 liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If you're not landing you shouldn't require a GAR. Also won't the flight plan be starting and ending at the same (UK) airfield? But if you're going that way, you may as well stop and get lunch or at least a cup of tea so that you can claim the fuel drawback!

I made this argument to Timothy on the Amiens Prison run. Biggin insisted they wanted a GAR regardless, so I said if they want one, land and claim drawback...so he did!
Iceman, mmcp42, Stu B liked this
Not a new issue: in 1910, Hon Charles Royce made the first 2-way crossing of the English Channel without landing. ISTR reading that he boasted that French Customs never had a chance to see him, and UK Customs weren't interested :)
skydriller liked this
By dublinpilot
PFMS Team
I find it hard to see how you could need a GAR for a flight that departed in England and landed in England.

If you fly UK to Germany, do you file customs notices for the Netherlands/Belgium/France because you transited their airspace?

We sometimes transit UK airspace on a flight that takes off and lands in the Republic of Ireland (especially so when flying to/from Donegal, and never file a GAR. I wouldn't even know what arrival/departure airport to put on the GAR, as none would be in the UK!

All you are doing is transiting French airspace.

I can well understand that you might be selected to be met by BF, because they didn't know that your flight didn't stop in France.

I also can't see why your flight plan would show a departure from France? Surely it would be departing the UK and arriving in the UK.

But as Paul says, why not stop and get the drawback :D
Stu B liked this
dublinpilot wrote:If you fly UK to Germany, do you file customs notices for the Netherlands/Belgium/France because you transited their airspace?

You don't touch their land, there is no issue in crossing UK FIR boundary as long as you have a UK-UK FP and you fly as filed, I don't think you will need a GAR for that and you will be able to defend your case

However, flying an ILS bellow 500ft may count as landing as far as UK/French primary and vectoring radars are concerned, you will have a hard time convincing anyone that you did not land, especially with mode C and AFIS out of hours :D

I do go to France for practice but I tend to have more pressure to avoid messing up (e.g. bust LFPs? taking pax? paid training? crashing?), skipping the easy paperwork is the wrong way to start with when things go wrong :arrow: