Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Korenwolf
Two Typhoons were scrambled around 1830 this evening to deal with a Jet2 flight returning to Stansted with an unruly passenger aboard. They went supersonic over Essex, prompting the good folk of the parish to go on Twitter and voice their concerns (=display their ignorance)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... s-16787529

all ended well, and we can sleep soundly in our beds :)
Last edited by Korenwolf on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
News story here, includes the classic…

In a statement, Essex Police said: "We were made aware of a disruptive passenger on an inbound flight to Stansted this evening.

"There is a possibility that residents nearby may have heard a loud noise, often associated with a sonic boom, as the aircraft descended into Stansted airspace
By tomshep
Scrambling a couple of Typhoons for a disruptive passenger. And what exactly were they going to do? Shoot it down if it appeared to be a threat? With civilians aboard? Summat doesn't stack up.
Robin500 liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It caused a temporary shutdown of all London airports according to an FB post. Biggin Hill was shut for a while also due to an emergency (unrelated I think). We were held outside of Heathrow zone for a while whilst trying to get access, the controller using some rather non-413 phraseology with "there's an aircraft south of Heathrow doing some 'stuff'".

Iceman 8)
Charles Hunt, carlmeek liked this
By Trent772
I'm stunned that they had Pilots/fuel/staff/ etc on a weekend.....

Thought the WABC only operated Mon - Thurs these days :mrgreen:
Charles Hunt liked this
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The best thing to do is give the young lady a bill!

CAT diversion, handling charges, landing fee, 2 Typhoons , the lot!

Then publicise it.

May cause others to have a think before kicking off, on an aircraft.

G-JWTP
Last edited by G-JWTP on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lockhaven
G-JWTP wrote:The best thing to do is give the young lady a bill!

CAT diversion, handling charges, landing fee, 2 Typhoons , the lot!

Then publicise it.

May cause others to have a think before kicking off on an aircraft.

G-JWTP

Thats after she has done sometime at Her Majesty’s pleasure.
Robin500, JAFO liked this
By gaznav
tomshep wrote:Scrambling a couple of Typhoons for a disruptive passenger. And what exactly were they going to do? Shoot it down if it appeared to be a threat? With civilians aboard? Summat doesn't stack up.

That is exactly what the absolute last resort would be. It’s a serious business this, something that all involved are highly practiced in and all hope they never are called upon to carry out that last resort. As someone who has flown live Quick Reaction Alert (QRA) scrambles then let me tell you it is one of the highest responsibilities that has ever been placed upon me. When that hooter goes your heart literally leaps into your mouth. This video made in 2015 shows exactly what goes on:

However, prior to that last resort, the Typhoon can visually check if the aircraft has a problem, look at the crew flying the aircraft, ensure they are compliant by giving them the visual interception signals (the ones you are supposed to carry in your aircraft) and finally to assist if they have they have a nav/comms problem. So there is quite a lot that QRA aircraft can usefully provide before even considering that final resort.
By Chris Martyr
Iceman wrote: Biggin Hill was shut for a while also due to an emergency (unrelated I think). Iceman 8)

Wasn't 100 unexpected microlights passing overhead was it ?,,, :D

[ runs for cover]