Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave W wrote:Vive la difference! Have both steam and glass.

The G5 is a nice piece of kit - a friend has one, but he too has kept the ASI & Altimeter and has installed it for French night flying regs purposes - I personally find that the dials are easier to read than the tapes though.
Shoestring Flyer wrote:No hanging around at the airfield. You plan route at home on Tablet then send route when in aircraft via wifi-hotspot to Dynon Skyview glass panel which also drives Autopilot. Takes 10seconds to transfer route max! :D

:scratch:
Was it not yourself talking (complaining?) about not being able to do this on another thread? Did I misunderstand?

Regards, SD..
skydriller wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:No hanging around at the airfield. You plan route at home on Tablet then send route when in aircraft via wifi-hotspot to Dynon Skyview glass panel which also drives Autopilot. Takes 10seconds to transfer route max! :D

:scratch:
Was it not yourself talking (complaining?) about not being able to do this on another thread? Did I misunderstand?

Regards, SD..

You are correct, you have a good memory! At one time, about a year ago, I did have issues with route transfer from Ipad to Skyview. It turned out that there was a technical issue within one of my Dynon Skyview screens causing the problem. All good now though, as I said, transfer takes seconds. :D
skydriller liked this
By Dave W
skydriller wrote:The G5 is a nice piece of kit - a friend has one, but he too has kept the ASI & Altimeter and has installed it for French night flying regs purposes - I personally find that the dials are easier to read than the tapes though.

We fitted it (in March) mainly for the AH and hence to give more confidence crossing water with a poor horizon (triggered by this trip). For that purpose alone it is a bargain compared with a mechanical AH.

I have to say that my eyes too always go first to the steam ASI and BaroAlt, but even so I am finding significant value already in:
    • Having a second altimeter; one on QNH (or 1013) and the other on QFE is a VFR luxury.
    • Being able to set Heading and Altitude bugs following ATC clearances is a habit to get into, but well worth it I am finding.
    • If I had a decent transponder (funke, look to your laurels and stop being money-grubbers with your software mod pricing...), I'd have an ADS-B source for Mode S-ES for free. Anybody fancy a second hand TRT800H for the price of a new Trig? :twisted:
    • I now have - again for"free" - a fairly comprehensive flight test instrumentation package with which to re-live my yoof. ;)
    • I got an invaluable self-teaching opportunity when I did the mod to fit the G5.
    • I get to explain the facts of engineering life regarding Jodel 1051 panel structure to those that condescendingly tell me that the steam BaroAlt and ASI are fitted the wrong way round! ;) :lol:
Nick liked this
By skydriller
Dave W wrote:• I get to explain the facts of engineering life regarding Jodel 1051 panel structure to those that condescendingly tell me that the steam BaroAlt and ASI are fitted the wrong way round! ;) :lol: [/list]

I noticed that...but tactfully decided not to mention it... :mrgreen:
Dave W liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Rob P wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Go and do some difference training behind glass

I have

Shoestring Flyer wrote: tell me then which is best!

I already have

Six pack every time

Rob P

I know you prefer it Rob, but why is it 'best'?

Ian
For the same reason that an analogue watch is better than a digital one.

Instant information, assimilated fast. With a watch you see that about 1/3rd of the hour had gone. Knowing it's 12:21:42 seconds is not remotely any more helpful.

Also, six pack looks right in the sort of aircraft I fly, or would want to fly
TV screens look great in airliners.

Having spent many hours in the RH seat of possibly the best equipped Lance on the planet I am in awe of the fit-out, but this is for an aircraft that flies itself for 99.9% of the time, tracking straight line from A to Z through a series of intermediate points. Not my kind of flying. And incidentally beyond my abilities.

So, faster delivery and comprehension of ball park information. Better (in my mind) appearance. Even on final I don't need to know that I'm at 71 or 73 knots, just the size of the space between the tip of the needle and the clear marking on the ASI face where we drop a wing.

Rob P
TheFarmer, skydriller, davef77 and 1 others liked this
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
It’s a preference. Nobody has to justify it.
Dave W, Rob P, mmcp42 and 3 others liked this
By T67M
I fly both steam and glass, and for IFR I prefer glass, but VFR I miss the angular pointer of the altimeter and (to a lesser degree) the ASI. Good bugs and bug discipline help, but blue bugs against full screen sky are just too hard to see.
By Nick
Agree with all Dave W above says. I used to dismiss glass screens, until I fitted a Kinardia HORIS. I now find, that is my primary instrument. Yes steam gauges are easy and fast to understand, you don't really read them. It is also very useful to have 2 altimeters one on QNH one on QFE plus all the other info, GS true Air Speed OAT etc.

My next build will have Kinardia glass screen portraying steam instruments rather than tapes and the basic standby steam instruments.

Nick