Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulB
SkyWay Code is actually quite useful... it’d be nice if there was some proper channel to submit suggestions, corrections etc. It however remains a useful pdf to have on the iPad (other tablet devices are available!)

SkyWise is, as others have said, a bit clunky, but again is useful if you want to keep up to date with stuff.

... so not quite a waste of electrons.
shortwing liked this
By PaulB
http://skywise.caa.co.uk/

I have the app, but seeing as I disable alerts for most apps, I rarely if ever use it.

I do use the email alerts though.

Edited to add, I don’t even have the app any more.
By Rob P
Lockhaven wrote:
Me too, what is SkyWise ?

It's an online way of alerting you to things the CAA think might be important. The 'Good' is that it is in categories so I don't need to see the Commercial Pilot stuff. The "Bad" things include that it will witter on about some airspace issue and as near as I can see then link to the AIP main page, from where you are on your own trying to track down the bit that interests you. Note: That may be the AIC, I really have no idea what the difference is and anyway I glazed over at this point. :shaking2:

It will also send you e-mail alerts on only those topics of interest to you. I have yet to see how this works out.

Rob P
Lockhaven, skydriller liked this
By Wide-Body
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TheFarmer wrote:Never even heard of it.

It’s a pity.

There is a lot of good stuff in there. It is placed in an easy to understand format.

We often complain (rightly) as a group that our aviation authorities are poor at communication. However for once the have done something really well.

It has been quite well publicised (but obviously not well enough).

Mr Farmer, have a look at it know you know that it’s there.

If you think it’s a poor publication say so, and that would be a good thread.
shortwing liked this
By PaulB
Wide-Body wrote:If you think it’s a poor publication say so, and that would be a good thread.

Say *why*.
Wide-Body liked this
By PeteSpencer
I've used Skywise ever since its inception:

Initially however, in my enthusiasm, I clicked too many buttons and got flooded out with irrelevant emails.

Some serious pruning has resulted in a useful tool for my own GA purposes and I have indeed acted upon several of the postings.

Not a waste of electrons at all if electrons purposefully harvested.

As for SkywayCodev2, I do hope Gasco will continue to dish them out FoC at their safety meetings.

Peter :wink:
PaulB, shortwing liked this
By cockney steve
I've just checked my copy of Skyway Code (thanks, Gasco! :) ) and Version 1-1 was issued September 2017. Amazing that so much has to be discarded and replaced/re-learnt in only 21 months.

Overall, it is a succinct precis of what some training suppliers would part you from £100 + for (admittedly, padded -out to several volumes) Yes, being a sad-sack nerd I do have a set of Trevor Thom's offering.

The Microlighter would probably be able to gain the necessary exam passes merely with the aid of the excellent Skyway Code and the equally compact Cosgrove ( As I've said before, plenty of 7 th editions of the latter, available for little money, Air- law was updated in the (current) 8th ed. , but the new Skyway Code will probably fill that void....if you attend a free Gasco safety-evening, you'll get a free copy, meet other people, get a couple of interesting lectures and several other goodies.
What's not to like?....I don't even have a pilot's licence and I found it enlightening and entertaining. :D
Never heard of Sky Wise, but there- again don't do "apps" "Smartphones" and their like.

Inside the front cover of Skyway Code,- quote...

"Enquiries regarding the content of this publication should be addressed to
GA @ caa.co.uk- please use subject-line "Skyway Code" " -so now yer knows!
PaulB, shortwing, Popeye liked this
By TheFarmer
Wide-Body wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:Never even heard of it.

It’s a pity.

There is a lot of good stuff in there. It is placed in an easy to understand format.

We often complain (rightly) as a group that our aviation authorities are poor at communication. However for once the have done something really well.

It has been quite well publicised (but obviously not well enough).

Mr Farmer, have a look at it know you know that it’s there.

If you think it’s a poor publication say so, and that would be a good thread.

I have now read it, and I still feel them same.

The point is, that whilst it’s not factually inaccurate in any way, it’s actually a very small cross section of information that gives off the impression that it’s an all-inclusive summary of what’s to be drawn heed to for those in GA. Where, IMHO, in actual fact, as a collation of info, it’s conspicuous in its absence of all manner of far more valuable and important stuff for the average PPL to know about.

A bit like randomly opening the bible on twenty different pages, summarising it, and saying it’s a précis of what happened.

As far as electrons go, whilst maybe not a waste, it’s really not the best use of them.
By PaulB
If you wanted to conduct a flight safely and legally, given that it's not a flight training manual, what is missing?
By PaulB
TheFarmer wrote:I’m talking about the SkyWay Code, not SkyWise.

So was I.....