Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By PeteSpencer
#1699585
mikehallam wrote:It reads 8 Days plus 1/2 hr !


No it doesnt:

Schedule is 19.00-1930 every day from 12-20 June inclusive.

Just time to go for a MacDonalds.

Peter
User avatar
By mo0g
#1699587
stevelup wrote:
mo0g wrote:That sounds like a write off if you damage the screen then?


Take more care of your stuff would be my only suggestion...

It's not quite a write-off - Apple will replace the screen (well, really, they usually just give you a new device) for the princely sum of £236.44. Yes, I know you can buy four new Android devices for the same money. But I don't care.

Or if you really can't trust yourself not to break it (I've never broken a single iPad or iPhone and have had both since launch), you could get AppleCare+


Accidents with devices are commonplace, hence the huge aftermarket for screen protectors and cases. That's with 'normal' use. I would think, well I know, that using a tablet for flying creates a greater risk of dropping and damaging devices, as you are moving lots of equipment into and out of a relatively cramped cockpit.

In that context, if you accept there is a greater risk of damage when using a tablet as a tool or for work, then it is perfectly reasonable to assess the repair potential/cost and balance that against the actual benefits of either different devices, or different technologies. So, you say the bonded screen has greater visibility, it may do but how much 'greater' is it than a normal screen (iPad or otherwise)? And is that gain worth the risk if it does get damaged - because if the screen gets compromised in any way that would surely mean replacement was absolutely necessary for someone opting to spend significantly more on an iPad BECAUSE of the increased clarity?

That risk/reward balance will be different for everyone. For me I would rather have a generally excellent tablet (Galaxy Tab s2 8.0) which works perfectly with my moving map app in the cockpit, when I know I can buy a new one with the money saved from buying an equivalent iDevice. Of course, if the screen did get cracked I would choose to at least attempt a cheap repair myself first, and I have been able to cheaply repair phones and tablets in the past with no problem, including iphones and ipads as the wife is an apple devotee and the kids get her hand-me-downs.
User avatar
By stevelup
#1699593
m00g, it's entirely personal choice.

The screen is significantly better. How much that matters to you depends to a large degree what you fly. I fly a Robin aircraft with an entirely clear canopy, and so the best possible screen is important to me.

If I was predominately something with a more shaded cockpit, it'd be less of an issue.

Unfortunately, you cannot do a DIY repair of the optically bonded screens, so that's a negative factor which you should indeed factor in if that's a concern.

You seem to be arguing with yourself to be honest. I'm not disagreeing with anything you say. You asked why bother buying an iPad, I gave a reason - the display.

You then said it's effectively a write off if you break it. I again more or less agreed with you by confirming that it's well over £200 to repair and that yes, you could buy several whole Android devices for the same money.

And still you come back for more! You're looking for an argument where there really isn't one. I haven't once criticised your choice of tablet, merely answered your question as to one reason why the iPad is better.
User avatar
By mikehallam
#1699602
I second Cub re the AWARE system

Been the best thing for years and years providing easy uncluttered nav. help both here in Blighty and on le Continent,

Free airspace updates monthly, and really worth a lot it displays a'proper' CAA Chart - exactly like the paper chart you do your pre-flight on (not forgetting the programme and all the requirements for home computer planning..
Cheap to renew Chart(s) annually AWARE gives you all that's needed.
{In bright sunshine the paper chart next to me is usefully held up to shade it ! ]
User avatar
By flybymike
#1699603
Alas the charts will be long out of date before their annual renewal, and the clutter on a CAA chart is virtually unreadable at first glance compared to a nice decluttered SD vector chart already fully up to date.
townleyc liked this
User avatar
By mikehallam
#1699608
It ain't a contest, but for anyone contemplating what might be useful.
I personally like the CAA chart as that's the master one plots on, has handy in the cabin etc., so for me seeing the details equally is of prime importance.
Last edited by mikehallam on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By stevelup
#1699612
mikehallam wrote:It ain't a contest, but for anyone contemplating what might be useful.
I personally like the CAA chart as that's the master one plots on, has handy in the cabin etc., so for me seeing the details equally is of prime importance.


I last touched a CAA/NATS chart the day of my test.
User avatar
By mikehallam
#1699613
EUHO.
Meanwhile I trust your alternative derivative(s) contain the same info. as the 'proper' Charts.
Those chaps who mentioned preferring an 'uncluttered' display as an advantage - to the CAA charts - surely lose valuable info.?
User avatar
By stevelup
#1699614
Nope, you lose stuff you don't need to see at the particular moment, all the text is clear and the right way up, and most importantly, it's up to date.

A paper chart is out of date before it is even printed, so unless you meticulously apply every single update, it's far worse than something like SkyDemon.
User avatar
By mo0g
#1699622
stevelup wrote:m00g, it's entirely personal choice.

And still you come back for more! You're looking for an argument where there really isn't one. I haven't once criticised your choice of tablet, merely answered your question as to one reason why the iPad is better.


I wasn't trying to argue, just expanding on the points for anyone reading the thread trying to decide :)
User avatar
By TheFarmer
#1699625
I used to argue that CAA charts were the best option.

I don’t any more.

They’re great for planning trips on the dining room table, but that’s it for me.

AWARE is my back up on my iPhone, and I like it, a lot.

However, SD is my preferred weapon of choice for anything more than a local flight these days.

I won’t use anything except an iPad.

I ate some humble pie about all this SD stuff. I still think Tim is unbelievably rude to his customers though to be honest. But that’s his choice.
T67M liked this