Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Glidingdoc wrote:What is the difference between the 550 and the 750?

The 450 is just a Com, the 550 has VOR and the 750 also has glideslope and GPS.

Regarding the comment above about buying the 550 and then realising they did the 450, the 450 was released later, so may not have been available when you bought the 550.

I bought the AA battery version of the 550 which was actually cheaper than the 450 when it came out, as the 450 was only available with the rechargeable battery. Not sure about now. The designation "L" at the end denotes having the rechargeable battery and charger.

The 250 is smaller, lighter and cheaper with just a Com facility, but it seems to work ok. Don't suppose you get the big list of previously selected frequencies on the screen at once like you get on the larger (bulkier) ones though.

Yaesu/Vertex Standard isn't completely a new name in aviation. I've also got a VXA-700 from some years back and even that wasn't their first generation of aviation products.
Glidingdoc wrote:
WIth regard to the Flight Bag, I want something a bit more substantial to protect my Zulu Lightspeed ANR headsets.

Didn't your headsets come with the hard shell cases? If not you've been shortchanged. I can't see why you'd need any more protection than that.

Rob P
skydriller liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Shoestring Flyer wrote:I find that Sainsburys plastic bags are stronger than Tescos. :D

If you can double your spend from 5p to 10p, I find the "bag for life" bags are better, and they are better value in the long run as if they get holes, you can take them back and they'll give you another one for free.
By Lefty
+ 1 for the Yaesu. I’ve had two icom’s And have replaced them with a YEASU. Much much smaller - and higher performance.

Re the bag, after nearly 50 years of flying I’ve learned that we all tend to carry around far more carp than we actually need. We tend to use our flight bags as a place to store all of our miscellaneous flying stuff - even though we rarely use it. I’ve seen people’s flight bags that weighed 50 lbs!

I haven’t gone totally paperless.
So these days, I have one setup for my everyday UK flying, which comprises just a Bose headset bag with a pocket, in which I stuff a chart and a checklist - and my iPad. (I would dump the checklist if I didn’t need it when instructing).

Then for overseas / longer trips I take a second bag, that holds; my survival kit (Yeasu handheld radio, PLB, sprayhood, waterproof holder for mobile phone, backup GPS, back up battery pack), plus any additional charts and Instrument Approach plates that I might need.

Thus for 80% of my flights, I just carry the headset bag and iPad.
By dangerous pete
I seem to recall that when the Yaesu is plumbed in to the aircraft's intercom and not used as a handheld, the aircraft's Press To Talk switch has to be soldered in to the radio/intercom cable. There was an article in the LAA mag which explained it.
My flight bag is a largish softwalled thing, packed with stuff and quite heavy. This is left in the boot of the car and I use, map. kneeboard with plog clipped on, headset and small tablet with the usual stuff on it.
By Ridders
What Paul said on the differences.

One thing to note that is not obvious, is that you have to select the external microphone if you have the headset adapters connected to the Yaesu’s.

If you don’t change the relevant setting in the menu, it still uses the built in mic and that can be a bit confusing as to why the audio isn’t working!
By Paul_Sengupta
dangerous pete wrote:I seem to recall that when the Yaesu is plumbed in to the aircraft's intercom and not used as a handheld, the aircraft's Press To Talk switch has to be soldered in to the radio/intercom cable. There was an article in the LAA mag which explained it.

I use a plug-in PTT switch with my FTA-550. Works ok.