Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Shoestring Flyer
Which is what always concerns me when taking passengers other than family flying. If I take a 20year old with me and anything serious happened the outcome of which restricted his working life of say 40+years or worse, the potential to sue me could mean losing everything I own, house, belongings etc. It is a worrying thought....
By Martinbguk
sue you, or your estate.
There is nothing you can do about it. If they, or their relatives feel strongly about it, you'll get sued.
Even driving a car, someone who was injured could bring a civil case against you if they felt you were to blame and take you for everything you have (if they won. either way the court costs would be crippling for most)

As I understand it, in China, people won't stop to help at the scene of an accident because it is assumed that they are responsible for the accident. They then have to financially look after the victims family for a long time.

It's a funny old world.
By Bob Bevan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Which is what always concerns me when taking passengers other than family flying. If I take a 20year old with me and anything serious happened the outcome of which restricted his working life of say 40+years or worse, the potential to sue me could mean losing everything I own, house, belongings etc. It is a worrying thought....

When you drive your car your liability for death or injury to passengers or third parties is unlimited so you don't have to think about how much cover you need. Unfortunately I believe that when the idea of compulsory insurance on GA was introduced in 2004 they slightly bottled it as they could have also required it was on an unlimited basis, at least for non-commercial uses. In practice I do not think this would have a huge impact on the premiums people pay, and it would have avoided the types of concern you raise.

I referred in my earlier post to a previous piece I did on liability limits. Having trawled through the endless twaddle I have posted over the last couple of years I managed to find the thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105433&p=1560674&hilit=liability#p1560674)

Cheers,

Bob
Bobcro liked this
By Shoestring Flyer
Martinbguk wrote:Even driving a car, someone who was injured could bring a civil case against you if they felt you were to blame and take you for everything you have (if they won. either way the court costs would be crippling for most)

No not quite the same thing as Bob has explained.
When driving your car you automatically have unlimited cover for all circumstances so the chances of losing everything isn't very great.
When flying you only have the amount of what you have agreed as Third Party Liability, above that the rest is up to you to find by whatever means.
By johnm
There are two aspects here, we have the aircraft owned by a limited liability company so there's some protection there. If I (as the pilot) am liable then many household insurances carry unlimited or very large third party liability cover. I asked my insurers how this worked. Their answer was "if the courts find you liable you're covered"
flybymike liked this
By Trent772
PeteSpencer wrote:
Well 180 people in the Airbus you take out at £3million each: shirley you can work it out....

Peter :wink:

325...... Please :roll: :lol:
By PeteSpencer
Trent772 wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:
Well 180 people in the Airbus you take out at £3million each: shirley you can work it out....

Peter :wink:

325...... Please :roll: :lol:

Not my usual poxy EZY Madeira-hopper Airbus A 320/1...

Peter
By Trent772
330 takes between 314 - 405 depending on fit. We have 314/322/325 and the Scandi's are at 380 ish I think, but when we were Hajjing, we had 405 in :thumleft:
By hatzflyer
I did. I put a lengthy post on here this morning which seemed to disappear within seconds.
Don't know why .
By hatzflyer
If you really can guess Pete I'd like to know. please PM me.
By Charliesixtysix
hatzflyer wrote:I did. I put a lengthy post on here this morning which seemed to disappear within seconds.
Don't know why .

Just interested in the short version.

My renewal premium was pretty much the same year on year, so guessing something must have upset the applecart for yours to double?