Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By PaulB
#1698038
There’s a thread in the Red Tape forum about MORs.

Almost all my knowledge of these things is contained in this thread title!

So, taking the title word by word:-

If they are mandatory, what or who mandates them?

How is an “occurrence” defined such that creating a report would be mandatory?

I get the feeling that they are an ATC only thing. Is that correct?

Finally, I think I’ve read, probably on here somewhere, that the contents are not made public. Is there a reason for this and if it’s true, are some of the posters in the aforementioned thread speculating or basing their view on some sort of inside knowledge?
#1698042
1. The Regulator - i.e. CAA
2. Described by them
3. No
4. EASA Regulations
5. You can subscribe to get them, but must have a 'valid' reason
User avatar
By PaulB
#1698047
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:1. The Regulator - i.e. CAA
2. Described by them
3. No
4. EASA Regulations
5. You can subscribe to get them, but must have a 'valid' reason


Can anyone add a bit more meat to those bones? For example, are 1 & 2 in the ANO or somewhere else?

I now remember point 5 being mentioned before. What might be a valid reason? I guess curiosity wouldn’t cut the mustard?
#1698060
I find it quite surprising that many PPL's are not aware of CAP-382 and its content .

In a nutshell , it requires any licensed personnel , i.e. ATCO's, Engineers and even pilots to file a report on anything which endangers the safety of either an aircraft or its occupants .

Considering that many smaller uncontrolled airfields quite regularly have to contend with ;

Pilots making position reports that are total garbage .
People with loose dogs on the field.
Unaccompanied children wandering around .
Ball games taking place on live taxiways. [I kid you not]

Thank you PaulB for bringing this one up . It is a topic that in some quarters requires a little more awareness.
GonzoEGLL, idlelayabout liked this
By Dominie
#1698071
Chris Martyr wrote:Considering that many smaller uncontrolled airfields quite regularly have to contend with ;

Pilots making position reports that are total garbage .
People with loose dogs on the field.
Unaccompanied children wandering around .
Ball games taking place on live taxiways. [I kid you not]

It's not just smaller airfields. In the 80s I was at RAF Finningley where a BoB Airshow was held every September. The deal was that we carried on flying that week for Monday to Wednesday, and then Thursday/Friday were airshow prep for the Saturday.

On the Wednesday, I was surprised to see from my office that there was a mobile catering van parked beside the Dominie pan, and there was a 10 year old lad cycling around between the aircraft! The idiots at the main gate had let them in early, and so they had gone to their allocated position, and only moved reluctantly.
User avatar
By rikur_
#1698319
In my time in engineering, some engineers used to use them as an industrial relations tool
I recall one shift manager reporting a MOR when staffing levels were changed and he felt that he team were too pressured as a result, and therefore at risk of making errors, but they were used more widely in the wars between management and workers, engineers and operations, etc.
By johnm
#1698361
T67M wrote:Indeed it is a very long list, and it includes every activation of the stall warner. In a light aircraft, that should mean an MOR for every flight during landing.


No it doesn't, that applies to complex aircraft which is where the annexes start. Page 14 onwards deals with the bulk of light GA, gliders, balloons etc.
#1698418
If this was actually acted on, I wonder how many MOR's it would generate.

My bold

1.1. Air operations (7) Unintended flight into IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions) conditions of aircraft not IFR (Instrument flight rules) certified, or a pilot not qualified for IFR, which has or could have endangered the aircraft, its occupants or any other person. (8) Unintentional release of cargo (3).


Who is the "other person" who is not in the aicraft?

This must be only a pilot report? (would you?) and how do you report the potential danger IE: "has, or could have". seems total nonsense to me but.
#1698652
FlarePath wrote:If this was actually acted on, I wonder how many MOR's it would generate.

My bold

1.1. Air operations (7) Unintended flight into IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions) conditions of aircraft not IFR (Instrument flight rules) certified, or a pilot not qualified for IFR, which has or could have endangered the aircraft, its occupants or any other person. (8) Unintentional release of cargo (3).


Who is the "other person" who is not in the aicraft?

This must be only a pilot report? (would you?) and how do you report the potential danger IE: "has, or could have". seems total nonsense to me but.


An unfortunate dog walker was killed by a landing glider on Long Mynd many years ago ...

Peter :wink: