Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Lets face it about 40% of LAPL holders I come across are flying illegally. Not deliberately but simply because they don’t understand their privileges.

In fact they don’t even understand that they even have privileges.

Other people don’t even understand ratings and as for the difference between revalidation and renewal they don’t even understand that either.

Now I am not saying for one instance that these people are trying to do anything illegal they simply don’t understand a system that quite simply doesn’t work.

So on the grounds that if they should have an accident then the insurance may not pay out so with this in mind why bother with insurance at all?

And if your going to do that then you may as well not bother with an annual or an ARC either.

And if your not going to bother with that then you might as well not bother will getting that prop overhauled at 6 years as it sat in a hanger for all but 200 hours of that time.

You could say quite a bit of money this way.

Has anybody just given up with the whole regulatory burden and doing this?
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Now I am not saying for one instance that these people are trying to do anything illegal they simply don’t understand a system that quite simply doesn’t work. So on the grounds that if they should have an accident then the insurance may not pay out so with this in mind why bother with insurance at all?

I'd say keep on buying insurance, doing annuals, and so on.

The arguments are different if you had to explain yourself at a ramp check, or defend yourself in a court.
Last edited by James Chan on Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Bathman wrote:Lets face it about 40% of LAPL holders I come across are flying illegally. Not deliberately but simply because they don’t understand their privileges.

What is the most common problem you encounter?

Ian
I can identify with Bathman's standpoint having unconsciously got it wrong with renewal/reval - SEP/SSEA and that was as a CAA employee.

And there's the Rumsfeld rub.

It's the unknown knowns. Ignorance is no defence but there's always a fellow forumite here to correct misunderstandings of the rules, thank heavens.

But what about the several thousand recreational GA pilots not signed up here, flying from there own strip or small aerodrome who don't come into contact with people who know?

I'd say many may stray over the line from time to time captured generally by CRI or Prof Check with no real harm done.

The only answers that comes to mind are simplification and safety promotion.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Twonks that don't try and keep up with with change via the mags, memberships, clubhouse chat or forums will still be twonks however much more simple the rules were made.

It's that fact that there are many that try and do the right thing and are still defeated by complexity that is a sad statement.

The one hour with an instructor should have been made one hour in the air, and at least one on the ground getting updated with regulation/airmanship.
PaulB, NickS, Maxthelion liked this
Wasn't there recently a retired farmer or similar, mid Wales who flew a Tiger Moth from his land. All was fine until he pranged it, then lack of anything and everything required by law came to light?? Sure I read of this some years ago.

My father gave up GA in 64 complaining bitterly then of the profusion of red tape and regulations that for him killed the enjoyment of flying in the UK
I doubt I will renew my CRI rating this year, due to surprise surprise FI and FIEs either not knowing the rules themselves or poo poohing the CRI rating as not a real qualitication. At least 3 I know sign and date a LAPL with the phrase "see you in 2 years".
Also won't revalidate before the last 3 months even when pilot has 12 hours 6 months into year 2 and is going to work abroad.
The one hour around the lighthouse for a quick revalidation is a crock of s##t.
We need a pass or fail on a revalidation or don't bother at all.
I don't mean a mini GST, but a genuine training hour.

By the way,this forum has been a great help for the last 12 years and specifically the last 2 of which I have been a CRI. Not leaving the forum, but would like to thank those who contribute, often without thanks and certainly without reward.