Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By BobD
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The frustrating thing I find on my RV-12 build is that sometimes, the same rivet-nut-washer etc. are in different bags. I understand why, it's because those in one bag will be used in one part of the build will be grouped together, whilst those in another bag will be used in a different part of the build. Still frustrating though, as sometimes, I have used bits from the wrong bag, and later think I have either lost some, or Vans didn't pack enough, only to discover them in another bag later on!!
:roll: :roll:
G-JWTP liked this
By G-JWTP
BobD wrote:The frustrating thing I find on my RV-12 build is that sometimes, the same rivet-nut-washer etc. are in different bags. I understand why, it's because those in one bag will be used in one part of the build will be grouped together, whilst those in another bag will be used in a different part of the build. Still frustrating though, as sometimes, I have used bits from the wrong bag, and later think I have either lost some, or Vans didn't pack enough, only to discover them in another bag later on!!

How far are you along?

G-JWTP
By Rjk983
BobD wrote:The frustrating thing I find on my RV-12 build is that sometimes, the same rivet-nut-washer etc. are in different bags. I understand why, it's because those in one bag will be used in one part of the build will be grouped together, whilst those in another bag will be used in a different part of the build. Still frustrating though, as sometimes, I have used bits from the wrong bag, and later think I have either lost some, or Vans didn't pack enough, only to discover them in another bag later on!!

Unless the 12 is different from the other kits (possible) the bags are pretty meaningless and just a convenient way for vans to pack the hardware for transport. I was advised to check off the contents of the bags but put them into individual trays in a hardware organiser and ignore the bag they came in. Mix the same component from different bags so that when you need a particular rivet etc it doesn’t matter which bag it was in.

Everybody I have ever spoken to about building an RV has given the same advice.
By BobD
@G-JWTP The wings, & tail feathers were built when I bought the kit, together with the "canoe" of the fuselage. I am part of the way through the finishing kit, almost finished the loom install, just about to start on the canopy.

@Rjk983 I don't know about other kits, but I find I have to leave the bits in the bags to identify them properly. From the plans I find the part no. required, then search the packing list to find which bag it is in, to select the correct part. Is there a better way of identifying parts? My memory and powers of identification aren't good enough to remember them all. I would be interested to hear if other 12 builders use a different method.
G-JWTP liked this
By cockney steve
As has already been stated, parts-bins! Anything from Lin-Bins (plastic, dropped, sloped front, can hang in rows from slotted-steel plates mounted on any vertical surface) Affix label to front with part # and/or description....available in sizes from about 3 inches square, to about 18 inches square...also other types, including self-assemble pack-flat cardboard ones. You aren't on a 3 -month exercise, so time invested in setting-up a proper "stores" is a really good investment. + you become familiar with the components/fastenings themselves. what's not to like?
By G-JWTP
I agree in some instances.

Each sub kit has the required fixings within it. So for a 3/32" or a 1/8" AN470 rivet it makes sense. However you can end up with a drawer with 2 small bits of 'Ali' tube and a micro switch in others.
I leave them all in their original bags and keep them in individual plastic containers according to the bit you are working on.
The exception is the blind rivets 20,000 or so which live in a big box in the corner.

G-JWTP.
BobD liked this
By G-JWTP
So a few days have passed.

I've had to go back to work, which is a bore, but there you go.

The economy needs me! What can I say.

So in the meantime a bit of an update.

I have finished the Flaperons:

The wings have been skinned up to the point that my Inspector needs to visit.

I've build a sort of boat and I couldn't resist fitting the seats in it to see what it would look like.

I've also discovered what a longeron is. Should have said 8' lump of angle aluminium.

Right now as I consider this a bit of a team build here's where I need help.

What colour or combination of colours should I paint the insides.

I'm moving towards the brakes and internals soon, so now might be a good time to think about it.

Good suggestions please!

Stay safe!!

G-JWTP
Bill McCarthy wrote:If it was me I’d scrub round painting the inside = more unwanted weight. Besides, the mat green looks the part.

Too soft; it needs some protection against scuffs and wear & tear. Two-pack epoxy or two-pack acrylic finish every time; very durable against knocks and scuffs.

Good progress, G-JWTP :thumleft:
By BobD
Bill McCarthy wrote:If it was me I’d scrub round painting the inside = more unwanted weight. Besides, the mat green looks the part.

That's what I have decided to do on my - 12. Besides, it appears lots of the interior is covered by the upholstery.
I'll probably face the control panel with matt black vinyl, as I've done on my Europa.
johnm liked this
By G-JWTP
BobD wrote:

That's what I have decided to do on my - 12. Besides, it appears lots of the interior is covered by the upholstery.
I'll probably face the control panel with matt black vinyl, as I've done on my Europa.

How about the roll bar?

It's too big to be green.

I been thinking about a gun metal gray on the bits that stick through the upholstery and Matt black on the top and face of the instrument panel.

G-JWTP