Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
This site includes many posts with 1950’s or pre-war phrases, however after 12 pages on this one, my curiosity has gotten the better of me regarding the title – what exactly is meant by the phrase “log store”?

A quick Google yields pages of commercial operation that sell firewood; so I am none the wiser.
By TheKentishFledgling
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
BobD wrote:G-JWTP, I am at a similar stage to you. My aircraft now stands on its own gear, the wings fit, and I have the Powerplant & Avionics on order. Do have a chat to Mike, he has been very helpful to me. One thing I would recommend is to buy & fit the AP Servos before connecting the cone to the fuselage, it makes the job much easier. I also bought the shelf for the ADHARS unit and fitted that before attaching the cone. Crawling down the back is to be avoided where possible. I'll send you a PM.

Please don't take this as criticism in anyway - I am in no way an engineer of any variety :D - but to my totally untrained eye I'm amazed how "spindly" that nose gear attachment looks :shock: Is that the later design that @aerofurb mentions?
By G-JWTP
RisePilot wrote:This site includes many posts with 1950’s or pre-war phrases, however after 12 pages on this one, my curiosity has gotten the better of me regarding the title – what exactly is meant by the phrase “log store”?

A quick Google yields pages of commercial operation that sell firewood; so I am none the wiser.

In a previous life the building was used to store firewood whilst drying hence 'log store'.
Or when viewed from the outside.

G-JWTP

:thumleft:
By BobD
Please don't take this as criticism in anyway - I am in no way an engineer of any variety :D - but to my totally untrained eye I'm amazed how "spindly" that nose gear attachment looks :shock: Is that the later design that @aerofurb mentions?

No, the leg on my aircraft is the original design. In the photo, you can't see the 13 or so bolts that attach the middle frame to the bottom of the fuselage, and the top two bolts are "holding bolts" until the engine is attached, using the leg as part of the mount, I believe.
By G-JWTP
Well,

Despite all the chaos that is surrounding everyone at present, this started to look like a proper aeroplane for the first time.

The wings just slid in with no faffing about at all.

If I don't post anywhere else, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and a more prosperous 2021.

Please stay safe.

G-JWTP
Most excellent progress !

We had our tadpole's tail on it before joining.

Test your electrics for the wing lighting....... Let me tell you how we found out from the new owner :pale: :lol:
G-JWTP liked this
By G-JWTP
Trent772 wrote:Most excellent progress !

We had our tadpole's tail on it before joining.

Test your electrics for the wing lighting....... Let me tell you how we found out from the new owner :pale: :lol:

Go on then!!

G-JWTP
By G-JWTP
As prompted by a Mr Spencer, of this parish, in another thread. I've returned to the log store for an update.

Well,

Just after the above photos were taken I had a look about the workshop and realised that I was running out of green aluminium. Thus I needed more bits from Vans.

I got down on my knees and pleaded with the great banker, aka Mrs G-JWTP , and , surprise surprise, without much grovelling I was given a whack of cash!!! :D :D :D

So on News Years Eve I ordered an engine and avionics.

8 weeks delivery for the electrics, 16 for the engine.

What to do in the mean time?

I could put the fins on the tail. Nah don't do that ,I was advised on the builders forum, cos on the next page of the build docs you take it off again.

I could attach the empennage to the front bit. Nah don't do that came the advice, ' cos you're not a little bloke, and unless you know a 13 year old gymnast/contortionist who l likes building stuff you are going to be in a world of pain, as there's electrics and fuel plumbing that goes in there.

OK I'll build the front cowlings and attach them. ' Nah, don't do that , cos without the engine you'll cock up the fitting and have to do it all again
I was up an cul de sac without reverse, so we did a bit of prep work on the internals, painted the bits that show and waited.

Then the day before yesterday , 6 months and two weeks from order, this came.

Not the pallet!

The box beneath it. Which contained.

So with more stuff here we're off and building again!

G-JWTP
Dave W, kanga, Aerials and 3 others liked this