Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Yup

The Hartzell grey was evil stuff to spray (3M filter mask was fine but it made your eyes water :shock: ) and the Halfords clear lacquer could be flatted back and polished to a perfect finish. Very hard wearing.

As you say, only paint the bits you can see. Full RV-12 interior option with cheapo black car carpet on the front of the tank and over the spars.

I asked Abbey to make some stick boots which she did and now offers as an option for the 12:

https://www.flightlineinteriors.com/rv12

They stop anything falling through the hole where you really don't want anything falling.

Panels were painted with Halfords satin black from a can.
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Right then.

Summer has come and gone!

So I thought you all may like a bit of an update.

Exactly a year ago I looked at something like this.

Now then, I've completed the empannage/stabilator/rudder , basically the bit at the back.

Both wings and the associated flapperons.

The central section where you sit including some of the pipping, all of the brakes and some of the flying controls.

We've found out where you can hang an engine.

And even where the fuel goes and what the wheels and brakes are going to look like.

So as winter approaches I'm moving towards the landing gear, spats and the last of the fit out.

So what do you think should be next. Engine or avionics?

Stay safe out there!!!

:D :D :D

G-JWTP
Spotted at least two missing rivets :pirat:

When we did our two, the very last thing was the avionics. Pretty much everything was done prior to that. I am hoping that the cable routing on the 12iS is better than the 12 - progressive growth of services made the routing of the bundle up by the rudder pedals pretty tricky.

I have the mix for Vans interior grey, you can get it mixed at your local paint supplier, or my man in Leeds can make it. I would suggest similar to Jerry, base colour and lacquer - easier to apply and you can put multiple clear coats in hard wear area. Clearcoat comes in gloss, satin or matt.

Drop me a line if you want a natter.

Mike
By cockney steve
Wonderful accomplishment. I agree it makes sense to leave Avionics until last.....will you be able to get the £250 E.C grant?/rebate (well, OK, mostly a VAT exemption, but, you know ....

Engine! Is it of any value to look at the Chinese Rotax knock-off? (Zongshen) My personal view is that the price differential is not nearly big-enough. A 3-year warranty sounds good, but 500 hours?

If the claimed interchangeability with Rotax parts includes the "tied" items that presently preclude non-franchisees/non-authorised persons doing "invasive" maintenance/rebuilding, It could, indeed be a game-changer, if only to prompt a serious price-war!
Currently the 80 HP is under £11,100 compared to the 80 HP 912 at a bit under 14,300. So, £3,200 saving, or ~20% Also, it seems the reduction gearbox, oil-tank, carburettors dual -ignition and air-filters are all included in the Chinese offering (I saw no exhaust or radiator!) The reporter mentioned that "some" of the mentioned items were extra on the Rotax, but was somewhat coy about enumerating them and how significant any cost-difference would be.

Is it worth it? an interesting conundrum, to be sure.
G-JWTP liked this
By G-JWTP
This airframe is designed to take the Rotax 912iS, so all cowlings etc are designed to fit that.

There is also the issue that the firewall forward comes as a complete kit complete with everything, including pipes in the correct size.

Another builder in the UK priced up buying the engine in the UK but by the time you add all the other bits and pieces together the saving was negligible.

Vans buy so many engines, of all types, that they get a 'stonking' discount which they pass on.

As for the Chinese thing, I think not.

G-JWTP
cockney steve liked this
By BobD
G-JWTP, I am at a similar stage to you. My aircraft now stands on its own gear, the wings fit, and I have the Powerplant & Avionics on order. Do have a chat to Mike, he has been very helpful to me. One thing I would recommend is to buy & fit the AP Servos before connecting the cone to the fuselage, it makes the job much easier. I also bought the shelf for the ADHARS unit and fitted that before attaching the cone. Crawling down the back is to be avoided where possible. I'll send you a PM.
Dave W, G-JWTP, MachFlyer liked this
I think I mentioned in a previous thread, a tip, to prevent painful ribs and hanging by your feet - make a jig that you can invert the fuselage, turn it on it’s side, for installation of wiring looms and pipeware. You can sit on a stool/stand up and install the equipment with ease. Any dropped bits will end up on the deck rather that them disappearing into odd areas.
G-JWTP liked this