Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Bill McCarthy
When I left the RN I went to work for you know who, I had two very happy days there - the day that I started, and the day that I left.
By Chris10
There are one or two old-school fully airline funded cadet schemes still around, keep an eye out for them OP. Foreign languages may be useful and whilst you might get food and accommodation paid for, you would have to cover any other living expenses yourself.

I always wanted to get into commercial aviation but the training cost was a barrier, I came close to getting on a fully funded programme but quite narrowly missed out. I subsequently was offered a position as a trainee train driver and became a fully qualified driver last year. I've not personally known anyone leave the train driving world voluntarily except for retirement. So, do consider a railway career as an option, you won't have to pay for your training, instead you'll get paid.
Melanie Moxon liked this
By Melanie Moxon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Chris10 I'd never considered driving a train to be honest perhaps something to think about.

@muffin I have heard much of pprune, the usual line is "thar be dragons" might be amusing though :lol: as (and making assumptions) a recreational helicopter pilot how much flying do you do and what kind of flying is it? I'd say that 80% of mine is burning holes in the sky (if I get that aerobatic rating sorted then I can add that to the mix) and the rest going to local airfields. Much the same or different?
If you do take up train driving you’ll be able to buy a top of the range aircraft, and if rail gets privatised there will be loads of time off due to regular strikes - at least a couple a month like it used to be !
mikeblyth liked this
By Josh
I personally find flying a priceless career. Many of my friends are now in stressful management or executive roles where their work never leaves them. They are pinging in emails all round the clock, particularly if they work for multinationals, and even when you are having a beer or bbq at the weekend work is always there in the background.

Although I spend a lot of time out of bed at odd hours of the day and night and suffer chronic jet lag, what stress I get is in 20-30 minute chunks at the beginning or end of a flight and comes with a neat resolution. I can then chuck the keys at the engineer with the knowledge that until I next walk up to an aircraft, I don’t need to think about anything to do with work again. That is, in my view, absolutely priceless.

I know plenty of late career changers (there are a fair few on here) and the key is realistic financial planning for the training, and having a plan B if it doesn’t work. Best of luck :thumleft:
derekf, AlanC, Radar and 3 others liked this
By Josh
Turn of phrase. Write up whatever you broke, and walk away like Keyser Soze having thrown the match. Apologies to any professional engineers who do the hard yards!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By muffin
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Actually the dragons on Pprune Rotorheads seem to have largely disappeared these days. The inhabitants are very tolerant of newcomers asking genuine questions, especially regarding professional training and career prospects. There is a very wide mix of hobby pilots (like me) and professional/ex mil on there including a few who are extremely knowledgeable and experienced. The hobby rotary scene in this country is very similar to fixed wing although there are of course far less of us. Quite a few like me have a foot in both camps though. I probably fly more rotary than fixed wing although that probably is due to convenience as one aircraft is 200 yards from home and the other 10 miles. Both have their own attractions despite the enormous cost difference.
By cockney steve
The P.C . elephant which everyone is overlooking (avoiding?) is that Melanie is a female. :idea:
Apparently, there's an acute shortage of all Commercial (ATPL) Pilots. There's a massive gender imbalance which all the employers are trying to address. I can't remember when I last saw a Commercial Licence training-school advert which didn't show at least one happy female in front-seat attire. (There is usually at least one non-caucasian among the assemblage, as well.)

This would suggest a massive opportunity available to any female wishing to become Commercial Flight - crew.

In this instance, I think "using " gender to her advantage ,is justified.- seems like all the doors are open, provided the aptitude and application are present.

As for Rotary, AIUI, the oil-exploration industry went T.U. a while since, Bristow, apparently the biggest Helo operator in that field, has gone the same way, Police are /have reduced the number of machines in service (the rise of cheap Drones has had a dramatic effect on surveillance/pursuit)
I don't see a recovery to anything like former levels and i'd expect Ex- Mil . pilots to be clamouring for the few positions available.

I know Muffin's been on the Dark Side for a long time, he will know the crack!
By Dave W
muffin wrote:I probably fly more rotary than fixed wing although that probably is due to convenience as one aircraft is 200 yards from home and the other 10 miles.

You're not fooling anyone.
You clearly use aircraft [a] to solve the aircraft [b] distance problem. :D (or should that be :mrgreen: ?)
;)