Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ls8pilot
Reminds me of when I used to glide with the (then) Dorset GC at Old Sarum.

We had a repeat complainer about noise, who in one complaint said "your aircraft fly over my house all week" which was odd as we only operated weekends. On further investigation it turned out that they, in moving to a "quiet village in the country", had purchased a house right on the centreline of Boscombe Down main runway, about 4 miles from the threshold.

We gently pointed out that we did not use jets to tow gliders (we had a couple of Auster's) & directed them elsewhere!
eltonioni, Flyin'Dutch', Ben K and 1 others liked this
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The other question that comes to mind is, when did he move in and what movements were there beforehand?
By ChrisGazzard
We had several complaints from local residents about a helicopter operating within our ATZ about 2am on Christmas Day morning, and demanding to know why we were operating helicopters at this time.

I pointed them in the direction of the NPAS twitter account.....
By kanga
Many of the talks at CheltLitFest are in large marquees, with suboptimal acoustics, but usually fine for talks without, eg, music. A former colleague of mine, knowing I was a local pilot, complained that an evening talk which he had attended had been ruined by 'some rich playboy continually flying his helicopter low over the town' and asking why this was allowed. I pointed out to him a local news story about the police helicopter having being up after reports of a particularly nasty sexual assault.

When USAFE moved out of Little Rissington, the technical buildings were sold off to become a 'business park'. The Married Quarters were sold off cheaply, refurbished by a developer, and sold off expensively. The airfield, however, remained (and I believe remains) military; amongst other things it housed (may still house) a VHF/UHF goniometer, part of the D&D fixing network. The only initial flying presence was a VGS operating Vigilants out of the old fire crew building, flying mostly at weekends, and on nice days until near dusk. Someone who moved into one of the OMQs complained that noisy RAF flying was ruining his summer weekend afternoons, but was told that it was still a military airfield which the MoD could use as they wished. Soon after it started to be used during weekdays for training of Lyneham C130 crews converting onto the C130Js. Schadenfreude :)
By patowalker
Deanland had a serial complainer about aircraft overflying his house. He was invited to the airfield and shown the GPS track logs of "the white one", which he claimed was the most persistent offender. That was the end of his complaints.
By Pilot Pete
I do have some sympathy with people complaining about aircraft overflying their villages.
I often complain about the aircraft overflying my house directly or nearby. Especially if I'm in the garden.
I find very selfish that not only are they enjoying themselves but coming close enough to remind me that I should be at the airfield or flying!! I then become very grumpy and begin to look for any excuse to go flying asap.
Some of the inconsiderate ones fly so low that I can clearly see how lovely the aircraft look cruising by but always just high enough that I can't read their Reg and look them up.
Some of this behaviour has cost me additional money in flying costs where I may have just stayed at home.
Gits.

:D
Paul_Sengupta, kanga, Peter Mundy and 3 others liked this
By Dominie
foxmoth wrote:The other question that comes to mind is, when did he move in and what movements were there beforehand?

Sadly that never seems to be an acceptable argument, although it should be.

There have been so many cases of people buying a property because it was "good value" and then complaining about the pre-existing noise, which was precisely why it was "good value"! A well-known case was the deaf woman who was a famous percussionist who bought a house under the then still active Alconbury approach, a mile from touchdown. :roll:

In truth, most airliners are so much quieter than in my youth - the engines are quieter and the airliners climb very much better nowadays so they are higher. I recall Tridents roaring over London at 2,000 ft to intercept the glideslope on 27L/27R (as they were at the time), and almost every aircraft departing on those runways for Europe turned left and flew over Kingston where I lived at less than 3,000ft. Just see how high they are now!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By hatzflyer
When we had a public enquiry at Nayland (Suffolk) the court got a letter from someone living in Scotland opposing our planning application on the basis that one day he might wish to come and live in Nayland !
It turned out that we were not the only ones he objected to.

Some people have strange hobbies ! :roll:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Irv Lee
The London stockbroker village on the river Test in Hampshire, known as Chilbolton, had a push to close the airstrip in the 90s, not realising that the strip wasn't really used much at the time and the traffic they heard was due to Boscombe Zone routing all matz transits plus lower level Thruxton entry and exit from the entire south coast via the chilbolton radio telescope.
I was in a pub on the Test and heard two army heli pilots loudly discussing their latest wheeze which was to do everything to encourage the locals to object to the strip as it was a pain as its presence and associated risk prevented contiguous hedge hopping activities or low transits at Chilbolton
So I went home and wrote a long letter to the council (to be read by the objectors) pointing out where the noise was coming from, including the overheard conversation, and how disturbance would get worse with heli noise on weekdays if they succeeded in closing the strip
Flyin'Dutch', Ben K, Stu B and 3 others liked this