Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It was most interesting to see a PC-12 parked beside one of Gatwick’s gates and being refuelled by Menzies today.

With charges at the top of the league table, they must have paid a fair whack for that!
In the 1960's and '70's we used Gatwick for customs before and after flying to Le Touquet and beyond in the Tiger Club Condors and Jodels regularly., The landing fees were cheap, the GA apron was quite large and the GA terminal was a modern portacabin. They were insistent on aircraft having radio, which meant that if you were flying a Tiger Moth or Stampe you used Lympne or Lydd. Those were the days when Gatwick was a publicly owned asset, just like the Motorways and meant to be used by everyone......
2Donkeys, MichaelP liked this
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think it was operating a crew positioning flight for one of the smaller operators at Gatwick.

Nice. It's great to be able to commute to work by plane. :)

meant to be used by everyone

I gather their runway is used at 97%+ planning permission capacity these days. So even if it were publicly owned today I'd imagine their fees won't be as low as it was.

That said if there happens to be a slot free, one should be able to use it at a cheaper rate, or the runway & ramp will sit empty.