Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Irv Lee wrote:In the documentaries that I've done long dips into this week, ... I haven't heard any mention of the Godfather of it all.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernher_von_Braun

Really? I've heard him talked about in three documentaries this evening alone!

They were even talking about how they introduced baffling in the F1 engine to have the same effect as the separate injection groups in the V2's engine to stop the flame instability which was blowing up the test F1 engines.

If you want to watch one of them based on Apollo 8, and have an hour to spare, and are interested in some of the technical aspects of the flight...this was on PBS America just now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2qr5fO-KaY

13:35 for VvB reference, followed by the F1 engine issue except there seems to be a bit of audio missing.
Irv Lee, kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
Heard on BBC radio 4 yesterday just before the six o’clock news an actor read out the eulogy composed for Nixon to present in the event that they got stranded on the moon.(It’s in the public domain)

It was strikingly moving.

Peter
By Rob Hart
I submit for your interest:

A band "Public Service Broadcasting" made a track called "Go!" which uses audio recorded on the day, edited and set to a pleasing drum/keyboard/guitar lick. Makes me happy whenever it comes through my headphones. Available on iTunes.
Last edited by Rob Hart on Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave W, joe-fbs liked this
By JonathanB
That's great! :)
By Paul_Sengupta
There's another documentary which was shown tonight on BBC Wales, not sure about the rest of the country, about the Welshman, Tecwyn Roberts, who was instrumental in the whole Apollo programme. It's on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006yhr

He was responsible for mission control in Houston and also the Deep Space Network. Prior to Nasa, he worked for Saunders Roe in Anglesey then on the IoW and then Avro Canada, working on the Avro Arrow.
By Colonel Panic
Quick Question: Over the years I have always associated a "beep" in the middle of the "One small step for man ..." transmission, but it doesn't seem to be on the current audio recording. Has it been edited out, or was it only ever put in "for effect"?
By kanga
Paul_Sengupta wrote:..Prior to Nasa, he worked for..then Avro Canada, working on the Avro Arrow.

NASA snapped up a lot of those who had been working on the Avro Arrow and its engines, both of which were impressively better than any analogous US contemporaries .. One reason, it is said, why USG put pressure on the Diefenbaker Government to cancel both, still a matter of scandal and rancour in Canada. :evil:

Another UK (and, of course, Gloucestershire :) ) connexion with the Arrow: chief test pilot was Janusz Zurakowski. He had been a RAF fighter pilot, and joined Gloster after WW2 rather than returning to Poland. He became a well known display pilot of the Meteor, especially for the 'vertical cartwheel' with one engine shut down, and one of the first test pilots on the Javelin. It is said that it was Bill Waterton, the Canadian test pilot at Gloster who was also on the Javelin, and who did not like the Gloster management, who persuaded Zura to move to Canada, as Waterton himself did. There is a 'Zura Avenue' among the aviation-themed strret names on and around the former Gloster airfield at Brockworth.
By vintage ATCO
Colonel Panic wrote:Quick Question: Over the years I have always associated a "beep" in the middle of the "One small step for man ..." transmission, but it doesn't seem to be on the current audio recording. Has it been edited out, or was it only ever put in "for effect"?

Quindar Tones
Colonel Panic, Trent772 liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Dropping a “Clanger” caused him to miss out out the word - “.........small step for (a) man, one giant leap..........” !
By joe-fbs
Public Service Broadcasting did a whole album about the space programmes. It is a regular on my turntable.

They also did an EP which included Spitfire and London Can Take It. Both also excellent.
kanga liked this