Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Just as a point of order - it is not CASA that requires the ASIC (or AVID) card; it is the Department of Home Affars (

I was last in Aus in December and popped into my old flying club and they recommended I get an ASIC (they could have done the paperwork and submitted on my behalf; taken the $250 (about £180-ish at the moment) and it would have been about a week. Unf, I didn't have my licences with me as it was a 3 day visit.

Then they said it is easier to get an Aussie PPL off the foreign licence than a 3 month validation.. I asked how - as the website says clearly, one must pass a CASA exam (the PPL theory is one exam covering all subjects - or was last time I looked), etc. He gave me a perplexed look and said it was't the case.. He opened up the application form ( and there were no such requirements. I asked him to open up the page that references conversion as I am sure I have a few months before the onset of dimentia ( to which his response was "just look at the application form. CASA's website is always hoplessly out of date".

One can apply for an ASIC through CASA at the same time. However, it says one needs an Aussie medical cert to do so (why, I have no idea). No probs - there are plenty of private operators who will do the ground work for you (though it is a pain if you are not a citizen/permanent resident as one needs proof of visa - an etravel or similar will do).

So, without the Department of Home Affairs meddling, actually getting an Aus licence would be similar to a FAA piggy back licence. Yes, CASA are worse than the CAA, but not this time.
@PaulSS - As I understand, what qualifies as an RPT (CAT in UK terms) airport is any airport that has scheduled flights.. Some seriously remote airfields qualify and had to go to great expense of putting up the necessary security infrastructure as a result - where let's face it - the risk of a terrorist attack is about as remote as the airports themselves.

Birdsville gets one RPT flight a week - if that.. had to go to great expense to erect virtually military spec security. No wonder landing fees have been introduced to government (now council) operated airfields and they are looking to offload them.. I have heard mining companies that ferry their staff to and from remote sites qualify as RPT and some dust strips also had to have security erected.

So, one could be flying into a remote strip where an ASIC Is needed. Apparently the AVID, which is a lesser form of security clearanceand lasts for 5 years is a must for all flying. I have heard non Aussie forums of pilots not bothering with either; never being asked although arriving in technically RPT airports.

No doubt a politician's offspring got themselves a job in selling airport (and marine) security.
Reply to CASA:

You should consider how you treat your customers.
Would you like to be treated the way CASA treats its customers?

You take months to process an application, this in itself is an insult to efficiency.
These months go by...
Then you expect an immediate response from the customer, and if not received, you take the money, and close the file.

CASA is not highly regarded by Australians... Nor by foreigners. It is seen as adverse to General Aviation, flight training, and recreational aviation.
Why is this?

I myself deal with Transport Canada, the UK CAA, and the Thai CAAT, none of whom are as inefficient and rude as CASA.

Please try to improve your reputation.


Michael Peare

On Fri, 10 May 2019 01:47:51 +0000, CLARC wrote
> Good morning Michael,
> I have not received a response to the below email, at this stage we
> can not process your application without new dates. Your
> application has been closed as incomplete.
> Please contact us again if you have any further enquiries.
> Kind regards,
> Miss Kathy Kirby
> Client Services Centre Officer
> Client Services Centre\Flight Operations & Licensing Client Services
> CASA\Stakeholder Engagement Division
> p: 131 757
> e:
> GPO Box 2005, Canberra ACT 2601