Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I must say that I am extremely grateful to the BBMF. I was planning to cycle the 6 miles or so to Tarrant Rushton to see their Dakota carry out a flypast. With rain forecast, I eventually decided not to risk getting very wet and, just as I made that decision, the very same Dakota flew very low right over my house. Thanks chaps!
Old Warden yesterday. Odd to see C-47 / DC-3 operating off a relatively short grass strip. They somehow seemed out of scale with the surroundings.

ImageC-47 D-Day 75 commemoration by Rob, on Flickr

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave W, mmcp42, Ridders and 1 others liked this
They are due to fly smack over my hangar today en route to Normandy . I am looking forward to it , I wish I could be airbourne to take some pics but I will be grounded by them but still looking forward to seeing them.
hatzflyer wrote:I wish I could be airbourne to take some pics but I will be grounded by them but still looking forward to seeing them.

You aren't grounded by them Hatz. Get into the air before 12:40z and stay above 3,500ft then you can take all the pictures you want.

Rob P
I'd thought of that but not sure of cloud base . I think i'll stay on the ground and savoir the sound.

Always said if ever I won the Lottery I would buy a Dak and live in it , flying wherever I wanted to go.
My personal favourate aircraft (or maybe a B25 )
Rob P, ChampChump liked this
By XX
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Wow - five just came straight over the top of my office in Tunbridge Wells at, all on one transponder and heading north to Duxford by the look of the route on FR24. I am happy with that, as I can't escape to see them en masse further east of me later!
Last edited by XX on Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What a balls up !
Loads of people at Nayland (en route ) to watch hanging around for what became over 4 hours. One factory shut down so that the workers could see the event.
Very late, very far from us , it looked as though they were outside of the published route, couldn't even hear them as they so far away and loss of a day's wages !

Very poor show, very disappointing....I had been really looking forward to see and hear it :(
Rob P liked this
By Stampe
In the end the very loose formation operated outside the notamed period which does call into question why an RA(T) was considered necessary and the safety judgement of operating the flight without the protection so afforded .Lots of disruption to GA and businesses along the route for nothing.Regards Stampe
plus7g, hatzflyer liked this
Couple of friends of mine spent the afternoon at Eastbourne to see it and reported ""Bloody Brilliant!"

As far as I could tell from NATS Airspace Explorer, which I was using to keep my friends updated by text as there was no mobile data in the big crowds at Eastbourne, there were sixteen in the stream: 14 Dakotas, a Beech 18 and a Harvard.
By Highland Park
There was a delay on the ground for reasons I know not (possibly getting all the parachutists sorted?) but the primary delay (according to the commentary) was a VVIP visit/issue in Normandy over which Duxford had no control.

I’ve spent the day at Duxford and to see and hear 20+ DC-3/C-47 variants start up, taxi and depart moved me almost to tears. The only time that happened to me previously was the evening display at Shuttleworth by the two Lancasters.

The opening flypast tribute by six MC-130Js and six V-22 Ospreys from 352 Special Operations Wing was something I wasn’t expecting and will likely never see again, equally true of the whole day...

Ian
joe-fbs, Maxthelion, AlanC liked this