Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Pilot Pete wrote:I never got the chance to formally meet Dave, but I'm sure we have crossed paths.
However if I ever saw him Post on a forum, I would certainly sit up straight, strap in and pay attention.
He was so knowledgeable and to the point. I always enjoyed his contributions.
I feel a loss. but nothing compared to his family, friends and colleagues. so sorry for you all.
RIP Dave.

Although I never met Dave, this post sums up all I was thinking and about to say. To those of you on this forum who knew him, to his friends and to his family I offer my deepest and sincerest condolences.

Ian
By Rob L
Cub wrote:I was so sad to hear this terrible news. I will miss his friendship, compassion, humour and professionalism.

Photo is us visiting FD at Daventry International in happier times. RIP

Youngsters, both of you. Lovely picture, thanks Cub.
By shortstripper
I only met him once but he sent me some lovely encouraging PM's a few years ago when I was made redundant and at a low point in life. Words seem to be of little consequence at times like this but I hope they convey to his family that we all appreciated him and what he bought to our lives in either a big way or even just in passing.

I wasn't a facebook friend, so please pass on my thoughts to David's family and close friends.

And of course to the other poor souls who were taken far too soon.

Ivan :(
By Moli
Dave was my primary instructor on my Controllers course back in 91. He was also my boss when I was at West Drayton and he was by far the best Commanding Officer I had during my 37 year RAF career, a real hands on guy who loved to get out of the office and do some controlling. Over the years we became friends and I had a huge amount of respect for him as a person and for all he achieved in life. I last saw him and Eileen a few months ago when the 4 of us went for a dog walk. He was loving life and very much enjoying his flying.
A huge loss to so many people, Eileen will be so utterly devastated.
It just doesn’t seem real
By TheFarmer
And when the busy times of Christmas, divorce, business, and life in general mean you don’t have time to stay in touch, make sure you damn well do.

I feel like Carp that I didn’t remember to reply to this. We had promised to meet up to drink beer and talk about aviation....

:evil:

By Iceman
TheFarmer wrote:I was flying back from work just now and for the first time in years I felt ever so slightly pi55ed off with aviation.

I echo your earlier sentiments. Most who visit here are passionate about aviation. Every so often when we lose friends, we are reminded that it can bite. As Andy R said earlier, live for today as tomorrow might not arrive.

Iceman
By johnm
I did not know Dave Phillips in person but I have been invariably impressed by his thoughtful contributions here. A very sad loss :(
By CloudHound
So I’m looking for something positive, something that helps and I think I’ve found it.

The responses. Your memories of the man. Shared experiences. When many of us can pull up that DP story.

That’s the measure and I hope those closest read all these posts and maybe one day take comfort.

Blue skies to all 4.
By gfry
TheFarmer wrote:And when the busy times of Christmas, divorce, business, and life in general mean you don’t have time to stay in touch, make sure you damn well do.

I feel like Carp that I didn’t remember to reply to this. We had promised to meet up to drink beer and talk about aviation....

:evil:

100% agree, don't put off to tomorrow what you can do today. I have several regrets that I will never shake.

Don't beat yourself up Jono..... By the way I still owe you.
By Sir Morley Steven
When I was thinking about buying my club I went to Dave and he was the only person who encouraged me to go for it. If it wasn’t for you, Dave, I wouldn’t have gone ahead.
Blue skies, my friend.
By Chilli Monster
I knew Dave as “Spot”, back in the late 80’s in Germany (Gütersloh). Our paths often crossed through discussing ATC and Social Flying via Flyer, plus things like the Uxbridge bunker visit. It was funny therefore that we ended up as work colleagues again at FCSL.

I’ll never forget the fire alarm at the Holiday Inn Southend. We were between nightshifts, having got in from a VOR Task at 5 in the morning, and scheduled to do another that night. I thought the Hotel Manager was going to be slaughtered purely by the look coming from Dave while we all stood in the hotel car park.

Whether it was ATC, Flying, or just as a Human Being, he was one in a million. Heaven’s in for a rude awakening with him sat at the bar up there!
Last edited by Chilli Monster on Sat May 18, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SwanFIS
Our paths crossed a long while back. RIP Dave, my sincere condolences to his family.