Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By joe-fbs
So it is Dave. I have been fearing so since the first few lines on the BBC last night. I did not know him as well as many here but I met him a couple of times, even flew with him once briefly and I liked him a lot. He was one of the best commentators on here. Very sorry indeed at this news.
By Balliol
What terrible news. I didn't know him personally but I can't imagine I could ever have half of the experience and knowledge about aviation he seemed to have, and I believe he was a tireless leader for the air cadets as well.
By Low Approach
David spent a lot of time with me as my instructor in Newtownards. Sent me on my first solo and has been very helpful with all the questions I had since I qualified.
I haven't seen him face to face in a few years and I can no longer hope to bump into him and have a conversation about many things I wanted to ask him about. So so sad.

Love each other and don't take others for granted, they disappear too soon and often without warning.

I'm deeply saddened.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave didn’t know me from Adam but unhesitatingly offered to look after my dog for the day when some jobsworths wouldn’t let me take it into Aeroexpo.

A simple thing, but very reflective of the man’s nature.
By PeteSpencer
I only met Dave once at a forum curry following the visit to the BoB Bunker at Hillingdon many years ago. An evening with him proved what an erudite and thoroughly nice bloke he was.
I subsequently enjoyed sparring with him on the forum and cannot begin to imagine the hurt and heartbreak that his family, friends and colleagues are suffering right now.

RIP Dave, truly one of the best.

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri May 17, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By skydriller
Believe we met in passing once, but only finding out afterwards...however it speaks volumes that "knowing him" through his posts on the forum, I was very sad to have my fear it was Dave confirmed.

My best wishes and condolences to his family and those that were lucky enough to know him better than myself.

SD.. :(
By Huntj86
SteveC wrote:Eileen has formerly announced and therefore it is now appropriate to share the loss of her husband and our forumite Dave Phillips in the accident. Dave was a good friend and an utter gentleman. His loss is felt by everyone who knew him and he will be sorely missed. I am not at liberty to name the other crew members so please don't ask.

Steve, my sincere condolences. I know from personal experience how raw this will be for everyone concerned. I was there recently myself. I am at the BBC today, and while I was informed by friends of David earlier today, we haven't reported anything, as we didn't have anything official from the family, or David's employer, and I also wanted to be sure that Eileen and close family had been informed.

Do you and the family wish us to report this now? Is there anyway you can contact me if you do, so that I can verify everything?

My work email is jon.hunt@bbc.co.uk
By Rob P
Richard Dastardly wrote:I was just trying to think how long ago that BoB bunker visit was.

I can't recall either. Top bloke, great night.

Blue skies Dave.

Rob P