Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Irv Lee wrote:Perhaps the schools that say they want a CPL as pre entry base their course content and prices on pilots knowing a certain subset of the Commercial groundschool (or even handling accuracy if they want an actual CPL) - perhaps they have found it extremely difficult and costly for the school to take some people with scraped-through passes in PPL exams 10-15 years ago and 300+ hours P1 based at the OK Corral Airstrip and get them shaped into FI candidates for test

There has to be a balance though, the recent and current CPL pilot isn’t going to be happy pounding the circuit indefinitely with abinitio ppl students every day of the week and weekends to earn £20 grand for the rest of their life. They are probably going to want more from their flying and a career path, which is how we got to this so called instructor shortage in the first place.
daxwax liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have a number of pilots who would be brilliant instructors but won’t as they haven’t the time or inclination to spend months doing the CPL theory.
Many CPL candidates scrape through their theory. I recently did my CBIR theory and many of the ATPL candidates at the exams were thick as sh*t. I wouldn’t let them near my students.
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By derekf
Sir Morley Steven wrote:I have a number of pilots who would be brilliant instructors but won’t as they haven’t the time or inclination to spend months doing the CPL theory.
Many CPL candidates scrape through their theory. I recently did my CBIR theory and many of the ATPL candidates at the exams were thick as sh*t. I wouldn’t let them near my students.

Oi! I hope you're not talking about when you met me there :lol: :lol: :lol: