Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By WingedSupra
Adrian wrote:If you're mostly / only going to fly in the UK, I'd compromise on the speed and get something that's really fun to fly and capable of using short, grass strips. Airfields with nice runways suitable for faster aircraft are only going to become rarer, and in any case British "farm strips" are one of the few ways in which flying in the UK is better than most other countries.

I hear you. The current Tiger is actually based at a 550m farm strip, so well used to that. I enjoy being able to get in almost anyway with an aircraft with that performance.

If you don't want to compromise on speed then, as the owner of a Mooney M20E, I'd recommend a Mooney M20E! Here's one that's within your budget: http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=45669

Very interesting, thank you! I've always heard good things about them mainly over in the US.
By WingedSupra
gfry wrote:Buy another Tiger James...…...

If I could find a good one I absolutely would. I even considered Huw's old one - but I think it was sold already (presumably to be parted out). I suspect though I'd have gone well over budget just getting it airworthy again.[/quote]

gfry wrote:or James, stretch your budget (you know you can, by buying the Mrs some more animals). Buy this beauty.

https://afors.com/aircraftView/44228

Oh, very nice. It even has a USB charger :)
By foxmoth
I would still say a Vans though I would say 1/3 share in a 7 or 8 especially as you say you want something that is enjoyable to fly, and look at setting up your own group though finding one may be the hard part, see if you can get a flight in one, if you can get up to Barton you are welcome to have a go in our 7 ( not sure how tall but we have a couple of tall guys in the group).
By Flyingfemme
If you’re looking at Mooneys and Arrows then you should certainly include PA24s in the mix. DH is around your size and he fits my Comanche just fine. They also have lots of room in the back. Decent cruise and a wide range of avionics fits to suit many budgets. Engine sizes from 180hp up to 400. Mostly owned by marque enthusiasts so lots of nice upgrades available and/or installed.
By G-JWTP
Flyingfemme wrote:If you’re looking at Mooneys and Arrows then you should certainly include PA24s in the mix. DH is around your size and he fits my Comanche just fine. They also have lots of room in the back. Decent cruise and a wide range of avionics fits to suit many budgets. Engine sizes from 180hp up to 400. Mostly owned by marque enthusiasts so lots of nice upgrades available and/or installed.

Avoid the 400, I flew one in the US' yonks' ago, all it did was turn avgas into noise!
The 180 was excellent
If I could afford the costs I'd have a 260C

G-JWTP
By Lefty
GrahamB wrote:If you can stretch the location to mid-Wales, there is a share going in a nice TB10 at Welshpool.

TB 10’s are ok for tall folk who have long legs & short’ish bodies. They are not good for people with long bodies and medium - short legs.
The front seats are on an incline - they get higher as they go forward.
By PaulB
Lefty wrote:
GrahamB wrote:If you can stretch the location to mid-Wales, there is a share going in a nice TB10 at Welshpool.

TB 10’s are ok for tall folk who have long legs & short’ish bodies. They are not good for people with long bodies and medium - short legs.
The front seats are on an incline - they get higher as they go forward.

The cabin is wide so they you don't rub shoulders with your RHS pax.
By Boecopter
Ref the Lancair 235, we went to view last summer. It’s a lovely aircraft and we were really excited.

However....I’m 6’2” and when we tried it on for size there wasn’t enough room. Couldn’t even get the canopy closed.

Unless WingedSupra goes for a legectomy, I suspect he won’t fit.

We’re an RV6 family now...