Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By WingedSupra
Per my 'south wales' post in the Groups / Sharing section, I might be moving to Wales and having to leave my share in a Grumman Tiger behind. The Tiger is 4 place, 180bhp with 120-130kt cruise. However, I'd say 90% of the time I am flying by myself.

I'm looking around at other aircraft for sale but it's a minefield and prices are all over the place. I have no idea where to start.

So, perhaps better minds than I can suggest something based on my needs?

- Tall pilot - 6'5 and 110kgs (240lbs)
- Wants to cruise a little faster than your average spam can (120kts or so?)
- Might want to get an IR(R) at some point
- Not too bothered about flight outside the UK, but france might be nice
- Budget around £35k

I've heard that the Vans range of aircraft are great but the only ones I can see for sale are well over budget!

Any ideas? (Anyone know of another Tiger for sale? :) )
By Rob P
Your 35k would certainly get you a half share in an RV were one available (that's the problem). It's pretty doubtful you'd fit in one though, they are somewhat on the cosy side of spacious.

Rob P
By CloudHound
Nope. There's nothing out there for you. Sorry :(

Unless you drop the velocity requirement, then there's a ton of things to buy.

Think about a 100 n/mile flight. At 125 kts you'll get there in 48 minutes. But at 90 kts (an achievable speed for many a/c) you'll arrive 18 minutes later. Wadya gonna do with those 20 minutes?

Me and my Stinson pootle along at 75 kts enjoying the flight, the view and the time together. Just saying.
Nick liked this
By john ball
I cannot think of anything that does that speed for your price range. So, a group share if you can find something, or importing from USA. You might get an old Mooney or Arrow nearer that price ? But I think you will have to increase the budget.
By WingedSupra
john ball wrote:I cannot think of anything that does that speed for your price range. So, a group share if you can find something, or importing from USA. You might get an old Mooney or Arrow nearer that price ? But I think you will have to increase the budget.

I’m certainly considering creating a group so that is another option. Thanks
By Adrian
If you're mostly / only going to fly in the UK, I'd compromise on the speed and get something that's really fun to fly and capable of using short, grass strips. Airfields with nice runways suitable for faster aircraft are only going to become rarer, and in any case British "farm strips" are one of the few ways in which flying in the UK is better than most other countries.

If you don't want to compromise on speed then, as the owner of a Mooney M20E, I'd recommend a Mooney M20E! Here's one that's within your budget: http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=45669

They cruise at 150kt on 35 litres /hour, have superb takeoff and climb performance, and pretty good landing performance if you fly them precisely. They're comfortable for a tall pilot, cheap to maintain and insure, have a back seat for emergencies or people you don't like, still have good support from the factory and, if you decide you want to fly IFR, they can do that very well too.

But I'd still go for a fun taildragger! :D
Last edited by Adrian on Tue May 14, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If IFR is not a current, or likely to be a mainstream requirement - then I would definitely look LAA for your ambitions. You'll get vastly more bang for your buck.

A trigear Europa would tick all the boxes nicely. Half or a third of a Vans similarly.

But if you don't need IFR capability, you almost certainly don't need speed either. A Cessna 140 on a permit? Luscombe? Cheetah or Traveller (latter are often quite cheap, you already know how to fly one, and can go IFR and night if you want, albeit back into CofA running costs).

G
kanga liked this
By Big Dex
Genghis the Engineer wrote:A trigear Europa would tick all the boxes nicely. Half or a third of a Vans similarly.

G

I own one, and I'm not sure at 6'5" it'd be at all comfortable, if you could even close the doors. A high-top version might just manage, but I still reckon your legs wouldn't fit...
By PeteSpencer
if you weren't fixed on a half share and could drop down to a 1/4 or 1/6 share, an Arrow would fit your budget admirably.

Our Arrow(though not in the right part of the country for you) is a six man group and and would tick all your boxes re speed, load carrying and range as well as accomodating your bulk.
As well as (usually) being nicely IFR ready for your future plans.

Availability is never a problem and a representative share would be £5-7k.

Peter