Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
@defcribed I am definitely with your belief of the Local Media being used to scare people to be more wary.

Personally, I think that any serious perpetrator that is being examined is less likely to be ramp checked and more likely to be investigated deeper.

The “puppy run” side of things needs more clarification. It is a well versed way of buying an animal in the UK and getting it to Jersey with minimal impact on its welfare.

We shall see what transpires in the next few months.
As far as I can tell being a passenger in a possible bent charter isn't an offence in itself, and nor is failing to assist the police in their enquiries.

If I were of a mind to offer an illegal charter, I would make it absolutely plain in writing to the passengers that the operation was illegal, that they accepted in signed writing or by verbal recording etc that this was the case, and that by offering me a profit in undertaking the flight they were inducing me to undertake an illegal operation , and that they were knowingly aiding and abetting such an operation. If they accepted these terms I would consider it unlikely that they would be doing much whistleblowing.
As defcribed remarks, any regular undertakings of this nature with regular “customers” would be between parties we’ll known to one another who would have no inducement to report the matter, either for the reasons stated above, nor the inconvenience of losing the use of the facility.
Jonzarno liked this
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
defcribed wrote:Is that what that is? Literally bringing a puppy over from the UK in a light aircraft because someone wants one and they can't be sourced locally?

I did notice signs about the place warning about the illegality and rabies risk of bringing in undocumented animals.

JFYI, Legally, there is no restriction on the transport of dogs from the UK and the Channel Islands. The CI are part of the UK “Common Travel Area” - and you can legally book your animal with you on all the airlines flying to & from the UK and the Islands. I don’t know if there may be any restrictions on dogs being transported by someone other than its owner.

One complicating factor is that some of the airlines operationing to the Islands arbitrarily impose a limit of only one animal per flight. Thus a person with more than one animal - cannot use the scheduled airline option.
AlanM liked this
Lefty wrote:
defcribed wrote:Is that what that is? Literally bringing a puppy over from the UK in a light aircraft because someone wants one and they can't be sourced locally?

I did notice signs about the place warning about the illegality and rabies risk of bringing in undocumented animals.

JFYI, Legally, there is no restriction on the transport of dogs from the UK and the Channel Islands. The CI are part of the UK “Common Travel Area” - and you can legally book your animal with you on all the airlines flying to & from the UK and the Islands. I don’t know if there may be any restrictions on dogs being transported by someone other than its owner.

One complicating factor is that some of the airlines operationing to the Islands arbitrarily impose a limit of only one animal per flight. Thus a person with more than one animal - cannot use the scheduled airline option.

One other complication is that some people in Jersey seem to spend a surprising amount on a puppy or a cat. They are then suppose to declare that to pay GST (our 5% VAT equivalent) on import, but they need to declare the total cost that includes any transport costs

I know people who are happy to provide an invoice when asked to and they're working properly within the cost sharing rules, but I have also heard (3rd hand) of somebody who when asked for an invoice for this purpose coughed and spluttered and said he didn't do that sort of thing and that it was probably easier not to declare it :roll:
AlanM liked this
I am minded of a certain Mr. Murgatroyd of Blackpool and Barton infamy. Remind me of how long he operated aircraft without insurance, without CofA, charters and hires.....
Then his final undoing, the infamous Barton "twitcher" flight.

Of the many watching the overloaded Piper, observing it's multiple attempts to reach flying-speed down a soggy ,wet grass runway........Eyewitness reports said the fire-crew were kitted-up and engine running.......... Yet, apparently, nobody called the local plod (or, as usual, they were less than eager to respond) ,-though their hand was forced when the inevitable happened meanwhile, all those professional, skilled and qualified people watched the saga unfold.......Did anybody attempt to stop this illegal flight ????

What would have happened had it actually been able to gain height and complete the trip?
maybe we'll never know. :twisted: