Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I got ramp checked last year (my a/c is a 2-reg).. two CAA heavies jumped out of the car as soon as i had filed a flight plan and then asked my girlfriend and i the same questions (both separate). All papers in order and nothing to answer but not a nice experience...

Apparently had been monitoring FlightRadar. Over 100 hrs for a PPL was seen as suspect :-/

I’d say they were looking a long time before now. So they should...
Lockhaven wrote:
defcribed wrote:Rights/wrongs aside, do CAA staff have the right to separate and interrogate you?

Surely their rights, if any, are limited to examining aircraft paperwork?

Yes they can, normally they speak to the pax separately from the pilot/crew to ensure the stories match.

Yes I understand the principle of separating suspects for questioning.

I'm questioning whether, in law, a CAA official has the power to detain, separate and interrogate people - which is what that amounts to. I would be very sceptical, unless anyone has chapter and verse from the ANO.
Didn’t really think about warrants.. had it been a copper I’d have said show me your paperwork... they did show their cards and the car marked up CAA and being airside made me think that they were probably legit.. think I was more focused on my twitching back-side...! at least I then knew I hadn’t got the paperwork (for the ever more complicated rules on what you seem to have to carry these days) wrong...

Interesting that Flightradar24 seems to be their primary source of info ?!? However, talking to the bods at 2-Reg later in the year they said that they may have also tipped the CAA off so they certainly ain’t joking about it..

I suspect I’m back on the list with my constant trips to and from the office and various appointments around the country and already about 40 hours under the belt this year!! :roll:
defcribed wrote:I'm questioning whether, in law, a CAA official has the power to detain, separate and interrogate people - which is what that amounts to. I would be very sceptical, unless anyone has chapter and verse from the ANO.

If you are about to have a ramp inspection I would very wary of spouting the law at them they have the authority to board your aircraft and inspect that everything is legal, they also carry a passport style ID I cannot remember the colour that allows them to board any aircraft, every CAA authority in each country can do the same.

And there is a big difference between polite questioning and interrogating people. If you decide in your wisdom not to allow them to conduct their inspection they can impound your aircraft.

A couple of extracts from said document.

The EU Ramp Inspection Programme is a European Programme regarding the performance of ramp inspections on aircraft used by third country operators (SAFA) or used by operators under the regulatory oversight of another EU Member State (SACA).
The Programme is regulated by Commission Regulation (EU) No 965/2012 and it provides for the inspection of aircraft suspected (based on e.g. safety relevant information collected by the Participating States or on regular analysis of the centralised database performed by EASA) of non-compliance with the applicable requirements (either international safety standards or EU standards). Ramp inspections may also be carried out in the absence of any suspicion, in this case a spot-check procedure is being used.

Inspectors are entitled to perform a SAFA inspection and search the aircraft according to Article 16 of the Convention on International Civil Aviation (search of aircraft): “... the appropriate authorities of each of the contracting States shall have the right... to search aircraft of other contracting States...”.

Should an operator refuse to permit the performance of a SAFA inspection without a valid reason, the competent authority should consider the detention of the aircraft (provided that the national legislative framework allows for this). In such a case, the competent authority must immediately inform the State of oversight.