Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
Apologies if this has been asked before. I experimented with a friend's new SkyEcho2 last weekend but we immediately ran into the problem of the SkyEcho2 / SkyDemon combo not having been configured correctly, resulting in continuous reports from SD of an impending collision with our own shadow aircraft. The aircraft already has ADSB-out so the SkyEcho2's ADSB transmitter had been disabled. We managed to find the 24-bit hex code for the aircraft and configure the SkyEcho2 with that number. We were slightly surprised when that didn't stop SkyEcho2 picking up the aircraft's ADSB-out transmissions, and passing them on to SkyDemon which continued to report impending doom continuously, It was only later, having RTFM, that we realised that you have to configure your aircraft profile in SD with the aircraft's hex code so that SD does the response filtering. It became apparent that SkyEcho2's hex code setting is just for its transmissions (disabled in our case) and it left us wondering why this single setting couldn't be used to filter out transmissions from the aircraft's own ADSB transmitter rather than pass them on to SD for filtering there ?

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Sun May 12, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Iceman
Thanks Boxkite. That's intuitively how I'd expect SkyEcho2 to work but it appears to be doing something different, as mentioned above. As Tim suggested, I will ping an e-mail to the manufacturer with a suggestion that they filter out the aircraft's own transmissions before forwarding traffic info to connected devices such as SkyDemon.

Iceman 8)