Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Do they still have telegraph in Wales? How quaint :D

As a former telephone pole climber. They don't rot at that height. It could also have been electricity, but with the top missing, I cannot tell for sure. The Google map links, if the correct location, show what looks like 11Kv Electricity.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
"Starr, who was medically discharged with PTSD this year, was in the car with his wife when the aircraft came down. He bolted towards the scene where he found another young man trying to kick through the window of the plane."

If I was driving with my wife and a plane crashed and burst into flames in front of us, would my reaction be to 'bolt towards it'? I'd love to think so, but in all honesty I think it might be to bolt away from it. And if I had a history of PTSD? Who knows, but I feel humbled by that instinctive bravery.
Flyin'Dutch', Lockhaven, johnm and 15 others liked this
Rob P wrote:Conversely I would expect an earlier rag and tube aircraft to fare considerably better. Certainly in terms of protecting the occupants. In this case at least egress would undoubtedly have been easier

Rob P

How do you work that one out?, a modern aircraft with a built in roll cage with air bags and seats designed to survive a 26G impact is going to fair less well than an old rag and tube plane in a crash. By that logic we would all be better off driving around in old moggie minors rather than modern cars.
Waveflyer, johnm, Adrian liked this
What George says. ^^^^

It's merely observed rather than scientific, but I used to fly the Colt so had considerable interest in AAIB reports on the PA22 and it was amazing how well they did protect the occupants in the seemingly most horrendous plummets. I'd guess it's a combination of progressive deformation of the structure and a cruise speed measured with a sundial?

But I was guilty of lack of clarity, the 'better' related to
your average 30 year old Cessna or Piper

Great news that the seats will survive a 26G impact. The beneficiaries of the occupants' wills can probably get something for them on e-bay.

Rob P
By Full Metal Jackass
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
mick w wrote:Looking at the height the Telegraph Pole was chopped off , I very much doubt the Chute fits anywhere in the scenario . :?: :?

Ah, I missed the part where he was departing Abergavenny - has this been confirmed? I thought he had an engine failure at altitude because of

Kittyhawk wrote:SR22T 2-RORO. Departed Denham. From FR24 routed via OX and GST at 2400'. At Monmouth descended to 1500'. Last trace 1100', high ROD just SW of Abergavenny airfield.
mick w liked this
By Dave W
AAIB report.
AAIB wrote:Synopsis
On takeoff from Abergavenny Airfield the engine of 2-RORO started to produce varying
amounts of power, which the pilot and witnesses described as the engine “surging”. The
power available was insufficient to allow the aircraft to climb away, and it contacted power
lines before pitching down and striking a dual carriageway. The aircraft came to rest inverted
and was quickly consumed by fire. All three occupants were helped to escape by a passing
motorist.
The loss of engine power was probably caused by too much fuel being delivered to
the cylinders. Due to the significant damage to the aircraft and parts of the engine, the
investigation was unable to determine the cause of the over-fuelling.
By PeteSpencer
CloudHound wrote:I recall an Cirrus EFATO from Staverton a few years ago - wonder if that was caused by over fuelling? And are there other examples to consider?

Piloted by a former forumite, no less...................

Peter
By riverrock
So sounds like there were various engine issues - with timing not being to spec, throttle not performing to spec and various engine fuel mixture issues.
The engine was often run too lean - was this intentional (perhaps to run Lean of Peak to reduce fuel use)?
However on the accident flight it ran too rich, essentially drowning in fuel.

Some of these were long term issues - would an operator see tell tail signs that something needed checked? What can we learn from this?

Also there is mention on an O2 bottle causing an explosion - should we also have O2 warning labels as well as BRS ones?
PeteSpencer wrote:
CloudHound wrote:I recall an Cirrus EFATO from Staverton a few years ago - wonder if that was caused by over fuelling? And are there other examples to consider?

Piloted by a former forumite, no less...................

Peter

Current, occasionally.