Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Difficult to say without any proper analyses whether Cirruses crash more often than other spam cans.

For this stretch of road it seems 1:1 at the Moment:

It is the second time in three years in which a light aircraft crashed on the same stretch of road.
Three people sustained minor injuries when the four-seater Piper Warrior II came down in 2016.
Interesting interview on BBC R4 "Today" this morning with the ex-bomb disposal chap. No mention of the "rocket risk" issue. BBC jouno's have obviously not been following this thread!
By kanga
May issue of LAA magazine, 'Safety Spot', p.44,has item on a CAA 'Mandatory Permit Directive' (2019-005, 10 April) requiring a standard BRS warning sign to be affixed to equipped PtF types near the mouth of the rocket tube. It comes into force 16 May, ie Thursday, with compliance by or during next Annual or 100h, whichever is sooner. It is a red triangle (like ejector seat ones) with text "Explosive Egress Danger" round the rim and

"Rocket Deployed Parachute Egress Area STAY CLEAR"

underneath.

BMAA and LAA are arranging procurement of these for their members. Not clear what CofA owners are being required to do.

I note from media that Abergavenny/Y Fenni rescue was effected through 'rear', but possibly rear side, window ?
Josh wrote:@Jonzarno I appreciate cirrus makes this information available, but frankly some form of unambiguous usual marking in a manner similar to the big red triangles found on aircraft with ejector seats is in the opinion of both the AAIB and fire services much more appropriate. I have no knowledge either way, but I would be disappointed if either Cirrus or a manufacturers body were not actively preaching to fire services in countries that are major operators, rather than passively providing information on their website which is only useful if you know to look for it in the first place.

Personally, I think cirrus aren’t interested in putting big red triangles with “DANGER” on their aircraft because it would hurt both their appearance and their marketing.

I don’t know the answer to this but I do agree with you. It would be a tragedy if much of the good that BRS has done were to be damaged by a post crash incident.
By kanga
Jonzarno wrote:... It would be a tragedy if much of the good that BRS has done were to be damaged by a post crash incident.

LAA mag item mentions UK AAIB report highlighting risk to first responders when rocket pack caught fire after LAA type crash 'a couple of years ago'
By Dave W
Some first-hand info on the rescue:

MSN wrote:"The plane came from nowhere, and if it had been two seconds later it would have hit us," said Daniel.

"The plane literally burst into flames in front of me and it had landed upside down.

"I screeched to a halt, and didn't hesitate - I could see there were people in there.

"I could see a young girl from my side, as there was no fire my side, and I knew I could get access.

"She was terrified, screaming because she could see the fire.

"I initially tried to smash the front window of the plane but I couldn't.

"Then I noticed a crack in the back and began kicking it.

"She was kicking from the inside, helping and eventually I was able to drag her out and a boy who looked to be a sibling, they seemed a similar age, around 19-20."

Daniel was assisted by another rescuer, from the other side of the dual carriageway, as they struggled to pull the pilot out.

Daniel added: "Another guy helped me, I think he was called Joel - he came from the other side of the barrier."

That man was Joel Starr, a 35-year-old ex bomb sergeant.

Starr, who was medically discharged with PTSD this year, was in the car with his wife when the aircraft came down.

He bolted towards the scene where he found another young man trying to kick through the window of the plane.

He told the BBC: "There was someone from the other side of the dual carriageway, trying to kick the window through.

"I grabbed the lady by the belt and pulled her out.

"The pilot then put out his hands and I heaved him out."

He added: "We got them away from the plane, which was getting hotter and hotter."

Daniel continued: "I thought the pilot might have been the two passenger's dad but I wasn't sure - Joel pulled him out, but by then the plane was completely engulfed.

"I ran to my son who was waiting in the car, reversed as the flames were increasing.

"It only took the fire engines 10-15 minutes to get there, but it was all so blurred.

"It happened so quickly but I'm glad we got them out."

Wow.

By George
The aircraft that crashed in almost that very spot a year or so back had just taken off then clipped the trees that run between the strip and the dual carriageway. There are reports that this a/c was not actually landing there (or certainly had not taken off from there as shown earlier in the thread) and as always one can only surmise as to what happened. The strip isn’t always easy to make out but strangely that slight bend in the road is a good reference point. Perhaps there was an emergency and in a rush to get down the guy did not notice the power lines. Perhaps.
By PeteSpencer
Miscellaneous wrote:Sobering thought that had it come down in the middle of a large field with no one to to help it may have been an entirely different outcome. :shock:

Though with no telegraph poles and wires to hit it probably wouldn't have flipped.

But you never know....

Peter :roll: