Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Well done to Ben, Rob and Geoff.

It doesn't mean that they own Section S, it means that they own the decisions of whether a whole aeroplane complies with it or not. Previously they (and still LAA) only owned that for modifications - and have had to go to CAA for final approval of new aeroplanes.

It should make things faster and more flexible for builders, designers and importers, allow CAA to concentrate on stuff that matters more to them, and make the aircraft approval process more accountable to the BMAA membership.

A win all round in my opinion.

G
seanxair, Stampe, kanga and 1 others liked this
Nowhere does it say that. I am just guessing, since someone has calculated the increase in kinetic energy at stall speed between 450kg/35kt and 660kg/45kt to be 119%. This will almost certainly have licencing and insurance implications. The BMAA is keen to protect FAI definition microlights from further regulation, so it seems likely to me that there will be a two tier system.
A relevant aside - I was heavily involved in the move from the old 390kg microlight definition to the current 450kg definition. When that happened, a lot of aeroplanes that had been "group A" (SEP now) became compulsorily microlights. This meant that a lot of pilots could apparently no longer maintain their SEP ratings on them.

I took a proposal to the CAA, who accepted it, which was that anybody who owned an aeroplane which became a microlight, could continue to use those hours to maintain their SEP ratings, but once it changed owner any new owner could not.

I'm sure that the BMAA still have the correspondence somewhere, and it may be very useful for a lot of people to quote that precedent.

G
Genghis the Engineer wrote:A relevant aside - I was heavily involved in the move from the old 390kg microlight definition to the current 450kg definition. When that happened, a lot of aeroplanes that had been "group A" (SEP now) became compulsorily microlights. This meant that a lot of pilots could apparently no longer maintain their SEP ratings on them.

I took a proposal to the CAA, who accepted it, which was that anybody who owned an aeroplane which became a microlight, could continue to use those hours to maintain their SEP ratings, but once it changed owner any new owner could not.

I'm sure that the BMAA still have the correspondence somewhere, and it may be very useful for a lot of people to quote that precedent.

G

I don't believe that anyone will be forced to reclassify their aeroplanes as a result of any changes.

Ian