Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Gustosomerset
FWIW, I'm with Earl Grey on that. I did self-declare, but still had my medical this year in any case for my own peace of mind. Also, in the event of a claim and if there is evidence of any sort of medical 'history', I can't help thinking that insurance companies may be more eager to challenge the detail of a self-declaration than an AME signed medical certificate.
Earl Grey liked this
By cotterpot
Also, in the event of a claim and if there is evidence of any sort of medical 'history', I can't help thinking that insurance companies may be more eager to challenge the detail of a self-declaration than an AME signed medical certificate.

But no proof then :wink:
By PaulB
How many AAIBs show a cause to be some sort of "medical history"?
flyingeeza liked this
By FlarePath
I can't help thinking that insurance companies may be more eager to challenge the detail of a self-declaration than an AME signed medical certificate.

Yep, lets gold plate something our CAA have accepted as a perfectly acceptable means of keeping flying, until evidence or change of policy occurs.

I get hacked off when the CAA actually do something that is a real, positive like allowing cost sharing, PMD's, Wingly etc, then some delight in finding a way to ensure that any negative points have to be made.

Negative people survive on worry – a very unhealthy diet. This mindset is geared towards the need to feel protected and aware to an extreme degree
flybymike, kanga, davef77 liked this
By flybymike
Gustosomerset wrote:FWIW, I'm with Earl Grey on that. I did self-declare, but still had my medical this year in any case for my own peace of mind. Also, in the event of a claim and if there is evidence of any sort of medical 'history', I can't help thinking that insurance companies may be more eager to challenge the detail of a self-declaration than an AME signed medical certificate.

In the event of a car accident with any evidence of medical history, are the insurance companies eager to challenge the detail of no medical self declaration whatsoever?
By Gustosomerset
flybymike wrote:In the event of a car accident with any evidence of medical history, are the insurance companies eager to challenge the detail of no medical self declaration whatsoever?

I'm not sure I understand the question....but as far as I know, car insurance policy applications include a medical self-declaration of fitness to drive - so in the event of 'no medical self declaration whatsoever' you would be uninsured.
By flybymike
Don’t remember ever declaring to an insurance company that I was medically fit to drive, (but that might just be my dementia)
Must remember to check my next car insurance application!
By patowalker
Look for something like this.
Have you or any other person who may drive the vehicle:
- got any notifiable medical conditions or disabilities that haven't been declared to the DVLA?
By flybymike
Have you or any other person who may drive the vehicle:
- got any notifiable medical conditions or disabilities that haven't been declared to the DVLA?

Ah!....well in pursuit of a point of forum pedantry, that would be a declaration that the vehicle will not be driven by anyone who has broken the law by not declaring notifiable medical conditions which must be reported to the DVLA,
I’m not aware of a requirement to declare oneself medically fit, but of course there is always a requirement to follow the law without being asked whether you intend to do so.
Not many folk will answer “yes” to the question methinks :wink:
Last edited by flybymike on Tue May 14, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.