Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
From April 2019 the BMAA has negotiated an additional radio frequency available for microlight pilots to use.

129.835 is designated for use as an air-to-air frequency by microlight for the purpose of improving situational awareness. This frequency is in addition to 129.830, which is for ground-to-air use at microlight airfields.

https://www.bmaa.org/news/bmaa-news/new-microlight-radio-frequency
Last edited by patowalker on Thu May 09, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
So why can't GA have a similar air to air frequency? (or three) With the advent of 833 spacing there must be oodles of spare frequencies......
On second thoughts it would probably be stuffed full of senseless chatter , a bit like safetycom round our way..... :roll:

Peter
PeteSpencer wrote:On second thoughts it would probably be stuffed full of senseless chatter

That's what is meant by "improving situational awareness" ;)

But seriously it's a good idea because now the senseless chatter has somewhere to go, leaving 129.830 clearer for its intended purpose.

I'm sure other GA types could have similar frequencies if, say, the LAA asked for them. Top marks to BMAA for getting on with it.

(I say "other GA types"because microlights are part of GA, not a breed apart)
PeteSpencer wrote:So why can't GA have a similar air to air frequency? (or three) With the advent of 833 spacing there must be oodles of spare frequencies......
On second thoughts it would probably be stuffed full of senseless chatter , a bit like safetycom round our way..... :roll:

Peter

Maybe if AOPA got together with some of the other 'user' groups they could put together an combined 'case'.
All of us know it would be useful, it's just convincing the CAA.
If the BMAA and BGA can do it then surely the GA community as a whole can do it.
PeteSpencer liked this
By PeteSpencer
Nomad63 wrote:I can't decide if this a good thing or not.
It has the potential for usefullnes or annoyance and safety enhancement or reduction, all depending on the end user, time will tell.

It'll put an end to the Safetycom microlight babble round our way: which consists of a neverending stream of
'where are you,Bill' '(to the background noise of lawn mower engine)
Just coming up to the church'
When are you arriving'
Dunno: want to do a circuit of my house.
OK see you in the pub at 6.
Better make it a bit later
OK 630?
Yeah 6.30s good

Arrrgh :roll:

Peter :wink:
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
That, to me, sounds like an excellent conversation and one well worth having.
aligee liked this