Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ve Googled it, and I’ve read the manual, but I’m still no wiser.

On start up, the above unit displays:

FLT ID PWR UP ENTRY “7000” OK?

I’m confused. Should the Flight ID not be a Mode S code assigned to the aircraft? If I press ENTER, am I not telling controllers that 7000 is my flight ID?

Where do I find my FLIGHT ID?
And do I have to enter it every time I start up?!!

Thanks.
By TheFarmer
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:What you are referring to is the airframe hex code.

What the sentence is telling you that the default transponder code is 7000, which would be appropriate for VFR in the UK.

Thanks Frank. It seems someone has previously entered 7000 as the ID!

So, @jacekowski , I add the aircraft reg’ at this start up prompt, and then go to Settings and make that the fixed ID?
TheFarmer wrote:So, @jacekowski , I add the aircraft reg’ at this start up prompt, and then go to Settings and make that the fixed ID?

You can do it all from configuration menu.
While you are there i would check if your aiframe hex id is correct.

Just a bit of a disclaimer, as much as it is possible to do it yourself, there might be paperwork required.
TheFarmer liked this
By BEX
Careful.
HEX code and Flight ID (also confusingly known as Aircraft ID or ACID) aren't the same thing.

The HEX code is the unique airframe address and does not change over the life of the aircraft.

The Flight ID (or ACID) is the aircraft Callsign. For our GA purposes that's usually the aircraft registration (e.g. GABCD), and rarely changes. Hence the ability to set it and leave it without the prompt at start up in the config settings.

This is what ATC can see on MODE-S SSR.

For commercial operations the callsign will change with each flight of course, and so they need the ability to change the ACID each time so that it matches the Flight Plan.

BEX
By Iceman
I caused confusion on a flight to the South of France last year in a MEP when I had not noticed pre-takeoff that the Flight-ID had been changed from the aircraft registration to 'EXM16' (Exam 16) for a previous day's IR test. I couldn't remember how to change it in-flight so a number of French controllers ended up stating that they would refer to me as Echo X-Ray Mike 16 as that was what was on their radar screen.

Iceman 8)
By stevelup
That unit needs reconfiguring. You should turn off the prompt for Flight ID on startup, and instead put your reg in there.

Hold the FUNC key down whilst pressing the on button.

FUNC then moves forward
START/STOP moves backwards
CRSR key moves from field to field within a page

Find the ADDRESS HEX entry and make sure it matches your hex code (which you can get from G-INFO)

Find the FLT ID entry and change it from 'PWR-UP ENTRY' to 'CONFIG ENTRY' and put in your reg without any spaces (eg GABCD)

Might be worth checking the aircraft type and max airspeed as well. Don't fiddle with anything else.

When you're done, turn the power off on the transponder, then back on again. That saves the settings.
Nick, Flyin'Dutch', TheFarmer and 1 others liked this
By TheFarmer
Thanks to Steve and jacekowski.

I had a fiddle today and on start-up it now defaults to the TXPDR code entry page and the prompt for a FLIGHT ID has gone.

:thumright:
By TheFarmer
Right, I played back on FR24 a flight that I did a couple of nights ago.

I searched my Reg on the App, and then played the flight back. But, it says No Callsign.

It obviously has my Hex code for it to know it was me, so I’m not anonymous, but does it matter if I’m flying around with no callsign on my TXPDR?

I’m beginning to think it’s best if I just leave it switched off so I can’t get in trouble for it? Is there anyone here who knows their avionics that I can fly to so you can fiddle with it please?

@stevelup ?

By johnm
Did you do the bit in bold ??

Hold the FUNC key down whilst pressing the on button.

FUNC then moves forward
START/STOP moves backwards
CRSR key moves from field to field within a page

Find the ADDRESS HEX entry and make sure it matches your hex code (which you can get from G-INFO)

Find the FLT ID entry and change it from 'PWR-UP ENTRY' to 'CONFIG ENTRY' and put in your reg without any spaces (eg GABCD)