Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Leg 1 started today with a flight from Zelienople KPJC to Toronto CYTZ. Next leg will be north into remote Canada!

Satellite tracker link and all kinds of other info available at my website: http://katamarino.co.uk
Last edited by Katamarino on Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Mundy, Waveflyer, Dave W and 12 others liked this
A good day one!

Doors open, this is it:

All the gear:

A good send-off!

First stop Toronto, to collect my friend Mike.

Goodbye, Toronto.

Within an hour, the terrain had changed unrecognisably:

Fueling up at the end of day one in Chibougamau

Tomorrow's weather is not looking promising.
Dave W, Charles Hunt, JAFO and 4 others liked this
I am in awe of what you are doing, it's something I've dreamed of doing but am unlikely to have the guts, skill or resources to ever attempt it so will watch your progress and live it vicariously. All the best - blue skies and favourable winds.
Katamarino liked this
The web site is bookmarked! I followed the trip through Africa a few years ago with keen interest; I'll do the same now. The only problem is that my own flying adventures across Europe every summer seem so insignificant by comparison. :oops:

260 liters of fuel in the first 5.1 hours? That's a thirsty engine you got there!
Katamarino liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Katamarino wrote:
akg1486 wrote:260 liters of fuel in the first 5.1 hours? That's a thirsty engine you got there!

That's the problem with a 520 cubic inch carbureted engine! :?

Must chat to you about that one day…

Thanks

Ian
Katamarino liked this
Day 2 dawned, and the weather was looking non-promising. Areas of low ceilings, with freezing precipitation, covered the higher ground between us and our desired destination of Iqaluit. No plan survives contact with the enemy, and it was looking like this old idiom was especially true for trying to fly across the Atlantic. Plan B was brought into effect; flying southeast towards the coast along the low ground, and then towards Goose Bay, would set us up for a potential crossing to Narsarsuaq, a different route to that originally planned.

Day 2's flight. Ignore the "total distance" and "average speed" - the tracker glitched.

Morning in Chibugamau:

Good morning bear:

Mike on his 3rd cup of coffee, before a 5 hour flight. An interesting decision.

Climbing out from Chibugamau

Still pretty wintery up here

Ceilings were low in places

The snow was clearly starting to melt

The lakes still had some melting to do

For a while, glorious sunshine

Time for some VFR on top

Direct to Goose Bay

Goose Bay arrival, just after a German Air Force A400M

Fueling in Goose Bay

Tomorrow, we plan to head for Narsarsuaq. There'll be headwinds, so we'll stay low (but not low enough to hit any hills), also need to stay below freezing level for the first couple of hundred miles. This will be the longest ocean crossing of the Atlantic section...
dppintr, mick w, Adrian and 1 others liked this