Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Lefty wrote:What do you think of the Narsarsuaq Hilton and its food offerings ?? :roll:

Did you get the special Narsarsuaq stamp i your passport? Don't forget before you leave.

Actually had a pretty good burger, and the best night's sleep of the trip so far! I think because of the quiet, and the accumulated fatigue. Didn't know about the passport stamp (and customs/immigration never came). Next time..!

Off to Iceland tomorrow! Weather is looking great.
Last edited by Katamarino on Sat May 11, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty wrote:What do you think of the Narsarsuaq Hilton and its food offerings ?? :roll:

It is dire. The fact he liked it is only representative of fatigue.

Did you get the special Narsarsuaq stamp i your passport? Don't forget before you leave.

I never have. Where from? They never bother with police. No-one actually illegally enters Greenland - why would you?
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Narsarsuaq ops guy (where you pay landing fees etc) asked us if we wanted a stamp?

I don’t think it is a formal immigration/ customs stamp, just something they offer as a rather nice record of your visit. It says
“Greenland DK Narsarsuaq “ and has a picture of a polar bear.

Ask them if they still do it?
Really enjoying following this. The thread and the live tracking.
This is excellent. I couldn’t even sort out a trip to Norway (weather didn’t play ball) but this planning and excecution of the trip is I think the flying equivalent of an Everest ascent
It may not be a ropeless free climb of El Capitan (but it’s not far off)

it has allowed me some vicarious enjoyment the last few days and I wish you the best in this endeavour.
Ridders, JAFO, Katamarino liked this
Bill McCarthy wrote:When do you plan to arrive at Wick - I can be there to help if you need assistance with anything.

Hi Bill, if weather allows it'd be Monday. Don't think we need any support but it'd be great to meet you!
The internet in Kulusuk couldn't cope with uploading pictures, so this next update is a bit late!

The weather in Narsarsuaq in the morning was so-so. Ceilings were reported at 6,500ft, but down the fiord the cloud dropped down to the surface, and going the other direction the ice cap was over 10,000ft. There was quite a bit of clear air around Narsarsuaq, so we decided to take off VFR and investigate.

Old airplane parts in Narsarsuaq

Narsarsuaq

Narsarsuaq village

Goodbye to Narsarsuaq

The cloud layers were fairly fractured, and we were able to climb in the clear up to 12,000, and then through a 2,000ft cloud layer to cruise at 14,500ft. Temperatures up there were around -20c and we didn't pick up any ice. Once on top, the weather was perfect, and the cloud fractured and then all but disappeared as we headed east across the ice cap and then north along the coast.

On top at 14,500ft

Land starts to peek out at us through the cloud

Very rugged terrain below

The final wisps of cloud fall away as we head north

Apparently the ice was melting early this year

Looking west, up on to the ice cap

Some bays were still frozen

Interesting features in the sea ice.

Along the coast, nearly to Kulusuk

No polar bears sighted

There were some scattered clouds around Kulusuk, but nothing to concern us as we were cleared straight in to runway 11.

Descending towards Kulusuk

Kulusuk village

Made it!

The owner of the hotel collected us from the aircraft, and after settling in we took a walk in to town.

Still plenty of snow left, but apparently 12ft less than usual

View of the hotel

The village

Charles Hunt, Lockhaven, Dave W and 5 others liked this
Charles Hunt wrote:Fabulous pics, thanks for the update, but mostly brrrrrrrr...........

At -20 OAT and inside a blobby suit is the aircraft's heater enough to keep you comfortable?

Plenty. We barely had it on!
Lefty wrote:When will you be in SE UK / the London area, where and will you be staying over?

I’d like to say hello face 2 face.

Arriving Friday in Sevenoaks, around on an off for the following week with some flying around the UK too. It'd be great to meet!
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Katamarino wrote:
Lefty wrote:When will you be in SE UK / the London area, where and will you be staying over?

I’d like to say hello face 2 face.

Arriving Friday in Sevenoaks, around on an off for the following week with some flying around the UK too. It'd be great to meet!

Which airport - Biggin, Rochester or Headcorn?

I’d be happy to host you at White Waltham (the best Flying club in the UK, and probably the universe :thumright: ).