Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lefty wrote:Ross check your pm, I’ve sent you a phone number of my mate at Goose Bay.

If you get to the museum - let me know if my photo is still on display. It may not have survived the move to the new building.
Lefty wrote:.. VMC, you could, (if you wish) stay low level and follow lake Melville and the Hamilton Inlet all the way from Goose Bay to the Atlantic coast. You even have a diversion airfield at Rigolet...

Rigolet is even on t'Internetty thing now; I have Inuit Facebook contacts there who post regularly; and an airstrip. It was HF PTT only when I was there in '60s, and air operations were floats or skis.. :roll:

At one time there was a bit of a shirttail of mine on the wall of the Goose Bay Flying Club, relic of my 1st solo there .. :)
By Lefty
Katamarino wrote:Image

Found Lefty!

Fantastic - thanks.
For more than 40 years I had been telling people about the strange things we got up to during the Goose Bay Winter Carnivals, but people mostly thought I was lying when I told them that we carved a life sized ice sculpture of a sperm whale. Then in 2015 my mate invited me to fly to Oshkosh with him in his SR22. We stopped over in Goose for me to do a little reminiscing on my old stamping ground (69-72). We visited the Air Forces Museum and I couldn’t have been more surprised when my co-pilot shouted from the other side of the room, that he had found a photo of some guys carving an ice sculpture of a whale just like I had described, he asked me if I recognised either of the guys in the photo - and yes, I am the one kneeling down with the axe. Until that day, I didn’t even know that the photo existed, so it really was a total surprise to see it on the wall in a museum.

Thanks Ross.
mick w, Dave W, Waveflyer and 7 others liked this
By kanga
Lefty wrote:..
For more than 40 years I had been telling people about the strange things we got up to during the Goose Bay Winter Carnivals, but people mostly thought I was lying when I told them that we carved a life sized ice sculpture of a sperm whale. ...

One of my Labrador (Nunatsiavut) relatives (retired ATPL!) now does 'recitation' performances on a semi-commercial basis. These are tall tales told in rhyme on local or topical subjects. His latest CD is titled "Half the lies you tell are not true" :)

Nakungmek/neskamiten, Katamarino
By Lefty
Doesn’t look like a great day to be flying from Goose Bay to Narsarsuaq or Nuuk. Clear out over the Greenland sea - but low cloud base and Low freezing level at both Goose and Narsarsuaq.

Looks like Katamarino might be spending another night in the Great North Hotel.
There is absolutely zero upside in pushing it up there in poor weather as we have all so recently seen. Enjoy the boundless charms of Goose. Better there than stuck in Narsarsuaq.
G-BLEW liked this
By kanga
Another recommendation for a visit to North West River from Goose Bay. You can even now drive all the way on a fairly decent road, rather than a cable car crossing the river after miles of fairly rough gravel :)
By Lefty
Katamarino is airborne enroute from Goose Bay to Narsarsuaq. He texted to say that the Narsarsuaq weather is not great, but he has both Nuuk and Kulusuk (on the east coast of Greenland) as alternates. His concern is the winds aloft.

He is showing on FR 24 right now, but will shortly cross the Labrador coast - and will no longer be visible on FR24.

Can anyone please repost the link to his Garmin tracker ??
By nallen
Lefty wrote:Can anyone please repost the link to his Garmin tracker ??

https://katamarino.co.uk/index.php/live-tracker/

https://share.garmin.com/katamarino