Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ConcordeBA
PeteSpencer wrote:I’ve followed Concorde BAs videos for some time now and find them entertaining and well made.

I appreciate the feedback. I do my best to ensure that they have value and provide younger and aspiring pilots, who regularly float around YouTube/Facebook/Twitter and Instagram to support our struggling community. More so after this disastrous year, it's important to promote GA positively.

I can't wait to explore the airways, and share the benefits of having an Instrument Rating. I look at the positives and keep on flying, safely and with passion :thumleft: :mrgreen: :D

pplmeir wrote:ConcordeBA just a quick check you are aware of pplir.org

Yes - I've been told to join! It's on my list of things to do before I start the practical training element.
By PaulisHome
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ConcordeBA wrote:
Yes - I've been told to join! It's on my list of things to do before I start the practical training element.

I'm going to add my support to that proposition too. It's very valuable. But you don't need to have a full IR to find it so - if you're doing any instrument flying at all, I'd recommend it.

Paul
ConcordeBA liked this
By ConcordeBA
I take a fellow airman flying in a fixed-wing aircraft, and whilst it was hoped to fly an NDB approach for a change, unfortunately, on this day it was unserviceable. Absolute sod's law.

We finish the flight off with an exciting crosswind, resulting in a bounce; mostly due to opting for a bit more airspeed than usual. Being somewhat used to the DA40's huge wing, I controlled the bounce well before conducting a normal landing. After a chat over a long-lunch, we fly back to Stapleford.

Ibra liked this
By Ibra
DA40 is a very stable machine and I am sure it can handle winds and crosswinds up to it's stall speed, the only limiting factor tends to be runway length and pilot skill/currency, I guess Stapleford is way too short :lol:
By ConcordeBA
Ibra wrote:DA40 is a very stable machine and I am sure it can handle winds and crosswinds up to it's stall speed, the only limiting factor tends to be runway length and pilot skill/currency, I guess Stapleford is way too short :lol:

Indeed, I very rarely have issues with Stapleford. Oxford for some reason I always struggle with, especially as it's always got a crosswind when I fly. But see below, really smooth landing :lol: :lol:
By ConcordeBA
Fog delays our departure! As conditions improve we depart for Oxford, however as we get airborne we realised, it was a good choice to delay. The visibility was awful and I conduct another ILS into a hazy Kidlington.

During the video, I talk about the SkyEcho and the CAA's latest initiative for conspicuity along with the impending lockdown and the limitations of flying. Not long after this flight, I renew my IMC with a test and SEP by experience.

By ConcordeBA
The return flight for the above-posted video.

One of those perfectly timed flights in the late afternoon during sunset, flying between an occluded front and a cold front with perfectly clear skies but lots of turbulence and changeable winds.

Reaching 159knots this quick but turbulent flight across the Chiltern Hills and North of London was over within 30 minutes.

reubeno liked this
By ConcordeBA
This was one of the most rewarding flights, in some of the most intimidating conditions I've ever flown. IFR flying is often a difficult subject to grasp but after two hours of nail-biting intense frontal conditions, a somewhat okay NDB/DME approach finishing with an RNP into Gloucester - It's educationally satisfying.

This video really shows how intense single-pilot IFR flying can be in a small aircraft, walking away with many key learning points...

I learned more in this one flight than any of all the IFR flights I've ever undertaken. A flight that pushes the limit of what one can do with the IR(R). If I am to pursue the venture that is the full IR(A) then I needed to push my capabilities and exercise the full privileges of my rating, safely and correctly. Some of the key learning points during this flight;

1) Timing is key, ensure you are always on time for your slots/arrival time at the destination
2) Be prepared for every eventually, runways change and so do the weather conditions
3) Increase the checks throughout the flight such as BUFFPEAR, FATRED, WASP, and BUFF PEARL
4) Having agreed SOPs to follow (This comes in the Pre-ATO/ATO training)
5) If you are not doing something you have probably missed something

Read more at https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/intense-frontal-ifr/

Enjoy!
By ConcordeBA
Return flight!

In all my years flying, I’ve never come across anything more perfectly timed than this flight. In fact, it was recently passing the IR exams that allowed such a high fidelity of planning to achieve such a feat.

Really interesting weather as the flight progressed closer to Stapleford, on our last video recorded flight of 2020 – in what was ‘Perfect Timing’.

By ConcordeBA
With training now started for the IR, here's an insight to a flight just before the training where I start to introduce SOPs and new procedures/checklists. A bit rusty, but nothing is ever perfect;

By ConcordeBA
So I've completed the Instrument Rating as of yesterday. Application sent off today for the inclusion on my license. Very happy, and lots of hard work and preparation went into this. Stay tuned for the writeup of my training...

Dodo, marioair, Andrew Sinclair and 4 others liked this