Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ConcordeBA
Following on from my post that I had successfully completed the Instrument Rating course last week with a pass at the Instrument Rating Test (IRT), here’s the resulting blog of that journey. I’d like to thank all for following the journey with me and the continued wealth of support given;

https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/the-ifr-journey/
kanga, pplmeir liked this
By ConcordeBA
The link was originally via a password, as I was showing a few friends before releasing to the public. This caused an issue which was solved by clearing the websites cache.

Now appears to be actively resolved.

ConcordeBA wrote:Following on from my post that I had successfully completed the Instrument Rating course last week with a pass at the Instrument Rating Test (IRT), here’s the resulting blog of that journey. I’d like to thank all for following the journey with me and the continued wealth of support given;

By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Congratulations @ConcordeBA I've followed your videos from the very early days and it's good to see it all come to fruition through good times and bad.
Well done.
Peter :wink:
ConcordeBA liked this
By ConcordeBA
Thanks for following on. I’ve got a video from before the bulk of training to release which will be interesting. As you’ll see the marked difference by the time I fly solo IFR.

It’s been some journey…

PeteSpencer wrote:Congratulations @ConcordeBA I've followed your videos from the very early days and it's good to see it all come to fruition through good times and bad.
Well done.
Peter :wink:
By Capt Edmund
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well done @ConcordeBA . I've been watching your vids for a while as someone considering doing something similar. Main question I have is what would you have done differently now that you've got to the end of the CB IR?
By ConcordeBA
Capt Edmund wrote:Well done @ConcordeBA . I've been watching your vids for a while as someone considering doing something similar. Main question I have is what would you have done differently now that you've got to the end of the CB IR?

Many thanks, that's a very good question. Probably would have taken more time off of work for the exams, not only did COVID delay my progress but so did failing a few of the theory exams. I'll have a better think and add this into the update I plan on the write-up. Along with more dedicated use to the sim/Garmin sim.
By ConcordeBA
A final flight did take place before I commenced the Instrument Rating Training. It really was nowhere near perfect with a hot approach and landing into Southend after an ILS and a below-average performance for an RNP into Southend.

The steeper learning curve got steeper after this, as I worked very hard over the coming months to gain that all-important Instrument Rating and removing any bad points of my flying and improving everything I once learned all those years ago on the IMC Rating.

I give you a teaser of what is coming up in the first moments of the vlog, take a look at the schedule below with finally some IFR Airways trips coming up...

https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/about/release-schedule/
By ConcordeBA
Here's one last trip in the midst of my IR training. I also talk a bit about my IR training progress and the plans that I have.

After carefully studying the weather reports, the satellite-derived radar data I opted to depart for Kemble. Unfortunately, a shortwave must have developed east of the weather and provided an intense IMC experience with the only escape being an airborne return to Stapleford.

The weather annoyingly did improve after I diverted but I tried for another day and lived for another day. A cool visit to an airport that’s been very synonymous with the CORONAVIUS pandemic with many airlines retiring their Boeing 747’s and other fleets to this beautiful airport in the Cotswold’s.

Since this flight took place in early July, Cotswold Aiport has had RNP Instrument Approach Procedures approved and is currently in AIRAC and due to be published (live) on September 9th, 2021.

In other news, I hope to update the blog with better pictures, and some of the suggested improvements by this weekend. The next video will be my first IFR trip....
By ConcordeBA
I've updated 'The IFR Journey' to make it just that little more comprehensive. I have now included Information on the GTN Xi trainer & flight sim, hours flown & experience crediting along with details on my application (Including some tips), a detailed rundown of the costs, and provided some additional final thoughts, this includes some of the things I would do differently; given the chance to do it all again.

Additionally, I've updated the format of the blog and the positioning of the images to provide better viewing.

Here's some inspiration from a recent IFR flight in the Airways -

renzokuken liked this