Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By NDB_hold
A fair point, and I thought the same, but real IMC is rarely without any holes or clues as to up or down. In fact, I find wearing foggles for the IMCR test much harder than actual IMC.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
NDB_hold wrote:A fair point, and I thought the same, but real IMC is rarely without any holes or clues as to up or down. In fact, I find wearing foggles for the IMCR test much harder than actual IMC.

When I did my IR admittedly ten years ago, screens were put up before taxi and a letterbox slot in front slid open to allow taxi and take-off.

(they've gone now, but even foggles/hood don't compare)

This was slot slammed shut at 400ft on the climb out and stayed closed till decision point at landing.

This pretty accurately simulated entering and leaving IMC:

The school knocked off 10 minutes off flight time for taxi/faff, the rest was true flight with sole reference to instruments.

It was bloody hard to start with but soon became natural.

I wouldn't have liked to receive a training/sign off that assumed there would always be the odd glimpse of ground vision in IMC and allowed sneaky peep in VMC.

Just my 2d worth.

I'm not being critical of the OP, er, well........ actually I am, but I hope in a constructive way: I've enjoyed his videos and rather like his dead pan style of commentary: Like he repeatedly avows, he's not and instructor and his videos are for entertainment purposes only: This they do very successfully IMHO.

Peter :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnm, 2Donkeys, ConcordeBA liked this
By johnm
I followed the same path as @PeteSpencer and I've been down to 250 ft at East Midlands several times in my Archer 2 and never seen the runway or the airport :D
2Donkeys, PeteSpencer liked this
By ConcordeBA
PeteSpencer wrote:An interesting video: well presented.

I have a few questions: I noticed that this was presented as an IFR flight with sole reference to instruments: You had (presumably) a qualified instructor/ safety pilot, yet used no vision restriction (Foggles/Hood) now screens are a thing of the past.

So effectively this was 'wasted' IFR time in that you flew no part of it with sole reference to instruments. Did you log any of it as such? I noticed you looking out of the left window several times.

There is much much more to IFR flying than flogging down an ILS, including maintaining heading, altitude and 'wings level' in IMC.( as well as unusual attitudes: that comes later.)

With no vision interruption it only takes a millisecond peep out of the corner of your eye to re- establish S & L, this is denied you in true IMC.

Keep up the good work and let's see the foggles/hood soon, eh?

Thanks for the comments Pete. I am glad you enjoy watching my videos.

I'll only log the bits that are sole-reference to instruments. But yes it's effectively 'wasted' IFR time, but not all IFR flights will be under IMC. If I am sole reference to instruments for the whole flight whereby it's not IMC, I'll always cancel the intended flight unless I have an Instructor/Safety Pilot.

My next flight I'll post is IFR but I was looking out the whole time, only when I was inside CAS and in and out of IMC did I log the hours. I won't go heads down outside CAS without an extra pair of eyes (unless of course I am IMC and under some sort of radar service OCAS).

PeteSpencer wrote:
NDB_hold wrote:A fair point, and I thought the same, but real IMC is rarely without any holes or clues as to up or down. In fact, I find wearing foggles for the IMCR test much harder than actual IMC.

I'm not being critical of the OP, er, well........ actually I am, but I hope in a constructive way: I've enjoyed his videos and rather like his dead pan style of commentary: Like he repeatedly avows, he's not and instructor and his videos are for entertainment purposes only: This they do very successfully IMHO.

I think I need more experience before taking myself up on true IFR days.. ;)
By ConcordeBA
An early morning IFR, and with good reason. A warm front extended from an area of low pressure situated almost 2,500 miles away, with some horrendous weather that would herald the start of Summer.

This was my first IMC flight of 2019, and my first solo IMC flight in over a year. We departed Stapleford at 0730z with an arrival just over 1 and half hours later into Bournemouth where the weather was becoming very interesting.

Looking at the weather before leaving home, I had a very good window of opportunity to get into Bournemouth and exercise the privileges of my IMC rating but at the same time remaining in the realms of my confidence and abilities.

Read more: https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/early-morning-ifr/

By ConcordeBA
It's quite a beautiful thing where you fly out of the airport environment, realise the weather isn't exactly ideal for VFR flight and utilising an IMC rating, the dream of soaring above the clouds quickly becomes a reality.

With a situation where the cloud cover extends beyond the visible horizon - a fantastically equipped IFR aircraft with decent cruise speeds allows a fantastic opportunity to get above the weather quite quickly and enjoy some much needed Summer warmth.

Read more: https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/?p=6095
By Sir Morley Steven
After ten or so years having a VFR commercial licence so I can instruct (the rules were different back then) I decided at the age of 63 to get my CBIR. I started last autumn and finished the exams, not without incident, at the end of the year.
Flight training is proving more difficult as I am busy running my flying club and want to do the training in a twin.
I have done one GH flight in a Seneca and one IFR airways flight in a Duchess so far. That has taken three months!
Good luck with the training Conc.
ConcordeBA liked this
By ConcordeBA
Sir Morley Steven wrote:After ten or so years having a VFR commercial licence so I can instruct (the rules were different back then) I decided at the age of 63 to get my CBIR. I started last autumn and finished the exams, not without incident, at the end of the year.
Flight training is proving more difficult as I am busy running my flying club and want to do the training in a twin.
I have done one GH flight in a Seneca and one IFR airways flight in a Duchess so far. That has taken three months!
Good luck with the training Conc.

One way I've looked at it, once you've tasted flight; you long to return. I guess that's the same if you are 23 or 63. It's in the blood. Thanks for the luck, hoping to do the theory shortly.
By ConcordeBA
Getting back up to speed simulating an airways routing, followed by two ILS approaches into London Southend Airport on a relatively convective summer afternoon.

We depart Stapleford in the DA40 IFR routing towards CLN (Clacton VOR) then request radar vectors for the ILS for RWY 23, we complete two approaches before making a missed approach back to base.

Landing Runway 23 - EGMC - UK

Being the first vlog of a new format, please make sure you can give us as much feedback as possible as it will help with future videos in this new way of showcasing. Thanks for watching and enjoy the flight.

By Gertie
PeteSpencer wrote:With no vision interruption it only takes a millisecond peep out of the corner of your eye to re- establish S & L, this is denied you in true IMC.

I don't even need to peek, the pattern of light coming through and round the foggles is enough for me to stay the right way up. Real IMC is a bit different.
By Josh
I actually found the only times I have ever had the leans was during IR training with screens up in bright sunlight. The movement of the sunlight and shadows across the cockpit when turning was very disorienting.
By ConcordeBA
Back in late January, I undertook what was supposed to be a first flight of many flights towards the EASA Instrument Rating using a combination of training and EASA IR(R). This flight was one of the most enjoyable to date, I usually take passengers but this was my first solo in some rather very British weather...

Quite a confidence booster, then other than circuits haven't flown since :x

In other news, I have passed 4 of the 7 exams, before the CAA closed down due to the Pandemic.
PeteSpencer liked this
By Megabytes
Have been following your YouTube channel for a while and was very interested when you posted that you are doing the CB-IR as I am thinking about it too.

How far have you got before lock down?

Have you done the exams as yet, if so, which did you find the hardest.

I look forward to seeing more of your progress when you can.
ConcordeBA liked this
By ConcordeBA
Megabytes wrote:Have been following your YouTube channel for a while and was very interested when you posted that you are doing the CB-IR as I am thinking about it too.

How far have you got before lock down?

Have you done the exams as yet, if so, which did you find the hardest.

I look forward to seeing more of your progress when you can.

I’ve found the whole thing difficult because of the timing of work coinciding with when the exams are bookable at Gatwick. I’m on the wrong roster line :shock: I’ve done Air Law & ATC Procedures, IFR Communications, Human Performance & Instruments.

Instruments caught me out big time. It’s been mentioned to me before that these EIR exams have some ATPL theory in them and can catch you out.

So just Met, Radio Navigation & Flight Planning remain.

Thanks for following, the plan is to get flying again then see how I can progress. I don’t think it’ll happen this side of winter if I’m honest. But that does allow me now to do the ATO section in two weeks or something with the test at the end. Plenty of time to use the IRR to bolster my skills in the UK before getting the full ticket.

Will be on an amazing upgrade of glass too.