Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ConcordeBA
I am about to start the journey to achieving the full IR. In reality, I can do the maximum possible outside of the ATO to get my skills up to scratch using the IR(R). I’ll be flying to airports that have IAPs, practising down to plate minima and either landing or diverting for an attempt at another IAP.

Once I have obtained the theoretical knowledge, I hope to have chosen an ATO that will allow me to fly the current DA40 I fly to achieve the dream of an Instrument Rating.

Here is a comprehensive Q&A video on the EASA competency based instrument rating (CBIR), answering some frequent questions and I'll explain how I'll gain this all important rating. Bringing the prospect of some exciting videos to come.

Rather than create lots of annoying topics about this subject, I'll post updates all in here to share with everyone my journey to become a much better pilot and qualify with that all important instrument rating.

If you don't wish to watch the video, or would also like some literature on the CB-IR. I've put all my questions and the answers I've found into a Q&A on my website.

I also talk a bit more about what the rating is and how I'll try and improve my flying.

All video can be found here as I post them.
All blog posts can be found here as I post them.
The YouTube playlist can be found here.
kanga, GeorgeJLA liked this
By ConcordeBA
In this video I fly an ILS into London Southend, landing on Runway 05. The IR(R) requires accuracy down to the recommended 500ft, watch as I attempt the IR height and then debrief at home after the flight.

In order to pass the IR test at the end of the CB-IR route, I need to demonstrate that I can perform the relevant procedures and manoeuvres to an appropriate standard. Read more on my website: https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/?p=5924

By ConcordeBA
A feature length video sharing how I fly single pilot IFR exercising the privileges of an Instrument Rating (Restricted), concluding with an RNAV approach into Cambridge, landing on RWY 05.

Single Pilot IFR is one of the most challenging types of flying in general aviation. The biggest reason is it requires high workload and multitasking. The biggest key for me as a Single Pilot to reduce workload and make IFR much easier is pre-planning.

Read more at my new website: https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/?p=5943
Last edited by ConcordeBA on Mon May 20, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By Andrew Sinclair
Hello ConcordeBA,

I think given that this is a public forum that for the record I say that single pilot IFR is not in any way the most dangerous type of flying. It takes discipline, skills and knowledge that you will learn and develop over the course of the training and executed correctly the risks are mitigated by threat and error management techniques and it is a very safe indeed.

Enjoy your training.
GrahamB, ConcordeBA, johnm and 2 others liked this
By PaulB
I didn’t watch the vlog, but did wonder about the word dangerous, too. Difficult? Challenging? They aren’t the same as dangerous.
By Andrew Sinclair
OP and I communicated via PM and I understand the intent of the post and my post is not a reflection on the OP, rather a reflection on sometimes how single pilot IFR is perceived by those who, unlike ConcordeBA, choose not to avail themselves of the facts and data to all our detriment.

Appreciate the OP has now changed the post :thumright:
johnm, ConcordeBA, 2Donkeys liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I took an IR under the old rules courtesy of the lamented Bonus Aviation at Cranfield. I did it in my own aircraft and often flew there from home base IFR using my IMCR as it was then :-)
ConcordeBA, 2Donkeys liked this
By PeteSpencer
Give the guy a break : He clearly states he’s not an instructor but a relatively low hours PPL with a passion for flying and producing videos of entertaining and good quality. I’ve watched many of his videos: he occasionally cocks up like we all do: he analyses his mistakes and vows to do better next time We could all learn from his enthusiasm for his hobby and his drive as well as his humility in his quest for the IR.

Peter :wink:
johnm, Chilli Monster, 2Donkeys and 1 others liked this
By PaulB
PeteSpencer wrote:Give the guy a break

Absolutely. (Still not sure that dangerous was the best choice of word, though.)
By ConcordeBA
Instructor Errant wrote:OP and I communicated via PM and I understand the intent of the post and my post is not a reflection on the OP, rather a reflection on sometimes how single pilot IFR is perceived by those who, unlike ConcordeBA, choose not to avail themselves of the facts and data to all our detriment.

Appreciate the OP has now changed the post :thumright:

Well hey, I guess if it's teaching me some basic amateur editorial skills and improves my literature and use of language in my writing then that's another bonus right? :) I hope anyone that reads these forums from the outside world realises that there's a lot that goes on in aviation and that it is extremely safe.

But I must add that understanding the risks and knowing that you have to be on top of your game is key. It's not an easy feat to fly SPIFR, and I say that with the upmost respect to those who do it regularly. I can't wait to join you.

johnm wrote:I took an IR under the old rules courtesy of the lamented Bonus Aviation at Cranfield. I did it in my own aircraft and often flew there from home base IFR using my IMCR as it was then

You used to be able to do the IR on your own aircraft back then? The IMCR is literally the most valuable post-PPL rating I've ever had. I was taught by an extremely knowledgeable B744, and now B789 Captain - my only wish is that I didn't take the advice on some that you should only use the rating as a get you out of trouble rating. I can honestly say that it rusted my skills quite a bit.

PeteSpencer wrote:Give the guy a break : He clearly states he’s not an instructor but a relatively low hours PPL with a passion for flying and producing videos of entertaining and good quality. I’ve watched many of his videos: he occasionally cocks up like we all do: he analyses his mistakes and vows to do better next time We could all learn from his enthusiasm for his hobby and his drive as well as his humility in his quest for the IR.

I've learned quite a few skills that keeps me out of trouble. (I mean going out and spending money down the nearest pub or bar. ) :lol: This is why I am always open to people coming flying with me. I've taken Airline Pilots, PPL IRs, CPL holders and let them give me feedback on a ‘practically basis’ rather than coming from the standpoint of an instructor or examiner. I enjoy the technical aspects of flying, and looking at it in fine detail. I might sometimes be wrong and I accept constructive feedback with open arms. If it helps me get to an ATPL one day, then why not?

I appreciate the feedback and am glad you enjoy the videos. I've learned many skills from picture editing to video editing along with the behaviour patterns and what people like and dislike in flying. It's all very interesting. I enjoy the flying greatly, the cameras are plug and play which I do prior to engine start. I can then look at it afterwards and share with everyone.

My aim is as you say. Analyse my mistakes, vow to do better next time. Once I've got my IR that curve will never stop.

Instructor Errant wrote:Especially for you ConcordeBA at the request of Pete 8)

:lol:

Kit-Kat McFlurry is nice. Just saying. :D
By PeteSpencer
PaulB wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Give the guy a break

Absolutely. (Still not sure that dangerous was the best choice of word, though.)

A bit of harmless hyperbole never did anyone any harmJust ask the journos and advertisers on the forum

Peter
ConcordeBA liked this
By ConcordeBA
An extended video showcasing how I brief, fly and debrief an IFR flight; flying cross country to complete an RNAV, before diverting to fly and land on an ILS approach as I look to prepare for the CB-IR.

In this flight I looked to perfect my skills, but it was with some difficulty due to a strong 25 knot wind from the NNE making for some interesting flying weather on this warm day. The weather however was so good, I wished I was flying to France.

The intentions were to fly to Lydd, to complete an RNAV approach before making a diversion to Southend. The whole flight would be flown on sole reference to instruments and I would try and improve the areas that I self-studied on my previous flights.

For those looking for some brief literature: https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/ifr-sortie-1/

By PeteSpencer
An interesting video: well presented.

I have a few questions: I noticed that this was presented as an IFR flight with sole reference to instruments: You had (presumably) a qualified instructor/ safety pilot, yet used no vision restriction (Foggles/Hood) now screens are a thing of the past.

So effectively this was 'wasted' IFR time in that you flew no part of it with sole reference to instruments. Did you log any of it as such? I noticed you looking out of the left window several times.

There is much much more to IFR flying than flogging down an ILS, including maintaining heading, altitude and 'wings level' in IMC.( as well as unusual attitudes: that comes later.)

With no vision interruption it only takes a millisecond peep out of the corner of your eye to re- establish S & L, this is denied you in true IMC.

Keep up the good work and let's see the foggles/hood soon, eh?

2Donkeys, derekf liked this