Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ConcordeBA
SteveC wrote:
ConcordeBA wrote:IFR flight to Exeter in September through an Occluded front; with an extremely turbulent departure from Stapleford and some hard IMC. Was the Continuous Descent Approach a Fluke?

And finally, the issues with the ATC audio quality are now a thing of the past, with a new improved set up to record that all-important in-flight chatter. If anyone wants help with that, I am happy to discuss it.

My question has to be, but why?

Why what?
By defcribed
pplmeir wrote:ConcordeBA just a quick check you are aware of pplir.org

Should he be?

I wasn't aware there was a requirement that we all be aware of the various enterprises that might want a bit of our money, but this is aviation so nothing surprises.

Odd phrasing "just a quick check you are aware...", as though he would be committing some faux pas or otherwise stepping outside accepted practice by not being aware...
By Uptimist
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have found the PPLIR forum to be most helpful and informative while training for IR and getting my head around what real world flying with IR is like. There are useful materials on the site. Individuals involved are universally helpful and well meaning and focused on improving the lot of the GA IR Pilot including engagement with regulators. So if that’s what you aspire to be they are worthy of support and you will benefit yourself and the community by joining.
David Wood, easy307, Andrew Sinclair and 1 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
defcribed wrote:

Should he be?

I wasn't aware there was a requirement that we all be aware of the various enterprises that might want a bit of our money, but this is aviation so nothing surprises.

Odd phrasing "just a quick check you are aware...", as though he would be committing some faux pas or otherwise stepping outside accepted practice by not being aware...

What a characteristically aggressive riposte to a very reasonable enquiry/ suggestion by pplmeir.

The PPLIR organisation via its influential and switched on officers and committees has gone a long way towards raising the profile of private pilot IR holders. It has lobbied the CAA, effected policy change and even produced the definitive RNAV textbook .
I’m sure Concorde BA will be aware of their existence . If not I would join with others in strongly recommending membership. :wink:
By SteveX
Loving the way this forum has become identical to the keyboard aggression (cos you cant physically touch me) of PPrune!!!!!!!!

Don't blame COVID anyone, this is purely what happens when humans get so absorbed in meaningless pointless topics and subjects they forget the very purpose of the existence of this forum - the hobby called flying. Just look at the posts on pathetic stuff like admin/paper/licensing etc. Does anyone out there actually go flying and just get on with it still? No they don't, instead they choose to get so deep into stuff like EC or what is legal or not re. things like driving to an airfield to go for an 'engine warm' during lockdown or becoming obsessed with a level bust and blaming the CAA for their action knowing full well they are guilty.

Stongly suggest the forum itself has a lock down and is locked until January.
ConcordeBA liked this
By defcribed
PeteSpencer wrote:What a characteristically aggressive riposte to a very reasonable enquiry/ suggestion by pplmeir.

The PPLIR organisation via its influential and switched on officers and committees has gone a long way towards raising the profile of private pilot IR holders. It has lobbied the CAA, effected policy change and even produced the definitive RNAV textbook .
I’m sure Concorde BA will be aware of their existence . If not I would join with others in strongly recommending membership. :wink:

I found the phrasing bizarre, tending towards paternal and/or condescending. So perfectly at home here, really.

If you want to make a suggestion to someone you say something like "do you know about X?" or "have you heard of Y?"

Making a "quick check they are aware" sounds as though you're trying to fulfill some sort of supervisory or authority-figure role. A policeman "checks you are aware" of a failed brake light.

The merits (or otherwise) of PPL/IR are irrelevant to my point.
By TopCat
defcribed wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:What a characteristically aggressive riposte to a very reasonable enquiry/ suggestion by pplmeir.

I found the phrasing bizarre, tending towards paternal and/or condescending. So perfectly at home here, really.

Making a "quick check they are aware" sounds as though you're trying to fulfill some sort of supervisory or authority-figure role. A policeman "checks you are aware" of a failed brake light.

FWIW, I didn't react like that. It was just a brief comment, sounded helpful to me.

What is familiar here is for people to act like mindreaders, imagining that from a few words they have complete insight into someone's meaning and motivation for posting something.

TBH, I think this is an overreaction to a relatively innocent comment. I may be wrong, but I'd look for more confirmation before I believed I could infer the things you allege.
By PeteSpencer
The above might make more sense if you made more sense of it by clarifying your multiple use of quotes........

Peter :wink:
By TopCat
PeteSpencer wrote:The above might make more sense if you made more sense of it by clarifying your multiple use of quotes........

Peter :wink:

Yes, possibly. Stand by... :shock:
By TopCat
PeteSpencer wrote:
defcribed wrote:

Should he be?

What a characteristically aggressive riposte to a very reasonable enquiry/ suggestion by pplmeir.

So when I read the following reaction to the above:
defcribed wrote:

If you want to make a suggestion to someone you say something like "do you know about X?" or "have you heard of Y?"

The merits (or otherwise) of PPL/IR are irrelevant to my point.

I wrote (agreeing with @PeteSpencer ):

TopCat wrote:FWIW, I didn't react like that. It ( by which I meant the original comment from @pplmeir) was just a brief comment, sounded helpful to me.

What is familiar here is for people to act like mindreaders, imagining that from a few words they have complete insight into someone's meaning and motivation for posting something.

TBH, I think this is an overreaction to a relatively innocent comment. I may be wrong, but I'd look for more confirmation before I believed I could infer the things you allege.

How's that? I had a go at doing it in one multiply-nested set of quotes but failed. Too late, too much wine, sorry :roll:
By PeteSpencer
Ha! Love it!

Glad to see we agree.

I’ve followed Concorde BAs videos for some time now and find them entertaining and well made.

He regularly gets stick for the occasional slip up but freely admits his videos are not for instructional purposes and he himself learns from his mistakes and from reasoned and fair criticism.

His progress towards an IR is to be applauded and IMHO his treatment at the hands of the usual armchair warriors with a known track record is unjustified.

As a recipient of regular playground bashings myself in the past when my views are a bit off the wall at times I do have some sympathy! :roll:
kanga, ConcordeBA liked this
By ConcordeBA
One of the benefits of General Aviation, seeing the world from above. We share these experiences with our friends and family in the hope they will live with that memory forever. 2020 really has made you appreciate life that little bit more.....

After a rather challenging IFR flight from Stapleford, a Toby Carvery making me 1kg heavier; we fly back to London at FL70