Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By zarpilot
As a pure backup in case of my tablet (running SD) fails in flight, I recently got hold of a 296. First thing I noticed is airspace out of date and airfield frequencies not showing 8.33 spacing.

Does anyone know if I can still purchase a map update for these units?

This page shows you can purchase "Navigation Data" for these units, but it doesn't show any details of what that update includes? https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing#

Any ideas?

Thanks
By zarpilot
Well that's also the reason I posted. My understanding is also that the 296's software is no longer updated or supported (their websites shows the last software update as 2013) but I'm not 100% sure about map updates.
I checked last night and it still shows the "old" Southend airspace (before becoming class D IIRC) and a quick check of North Weald tower still shows non 8.33 kHz frequency.

If these aren't kept up to date by Garmin then I can't really trust what I see or get from it can I?
Looks like I was right:It's no longer supported (6 years) Just logged in to my Garmin account and tried to buy system software update: Says that my system is latest software (2013) and that updates are no longer available for purchase for NavData, Obstacle data or Terrain data.

That's that then: You'll just have to buy an Aera.

Me? I'll carry on using my 296 as back up till it dies: Its been the most reliable bit of navigation kit I've ever owned:

Interestingly I just sat out on back patio to look for EGNOS which I've never bothered with and within 8 minutes it logged onto 9 of the 12 satellites with EGNOS 3D capability: Amazing for such an ancient bit of kit!

Peter :wink:
By GrahamB
Sorry to disagree with you @PeteSpencer, but Navigation Data -is- still supported for the 296.

I've just logged into FlyGarmin, where my device is registered, and it is misleading as it firstly tells you that two updates (Nav and Terrain) are available, both of which are well expired. Just ignore that and click 'Buy Databases' and it will allow you to select the region you want, one-off or annual subscription, and will automatically put the the latest cycle (1905, valid until 25/05/19) in the shopping cart.

£40.00 for a single update for the Northern European region.
By Boxkite
PeteSpencer wrote:Looks like I was right:It's no longer supported (6 years) Just logged in to my Garmin account and tried to buy system software update:

It's common that people confuse software updates with the aviation and other database updates.
It has never been necessary to 'buy' system software updates - it has always been free.
The 296 is still supported with Aviation updates.
The system software hasn't been updated since 2013 (it's at 6.1) because, well, there's been no need. All the bugs have been ironed out and various future allowances must have been maxed (memory allocation........). I am pretty sure that if there had been a roller-over issue with it then they would have released an update.
Blimey ! Graham B thanks for that I stalled at ‘ updated not available ‘
on the order page .
I’ll try again later .
What a cock-eyed customer interface .

Peter
Boxkite wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Looks like I was right:It's no longer supported (6 years) Just logged in to my Garmin account and tried to buy system software update:

It's common that people confuse software updates with the aviation and other database updates.
It has never been necessary to 'buy' system software updates - it has always been free.
The system software hasn't been updated since 2013 (it's at 6.1) because, well, there's been no need. All the bugs have been ironed out and various future allowances must have been maxed (memory allocation........). I am pretty sure that if there had been a roller-over issue with it then they would have released an update.

Mr kite : I am fully aware of the differences you allude to : I am responsible for the monthly Jeppnavdata updates for our 430W.
When I logged in to update my 296 software I was told I had the latest edition (2013).
It was when I tried to get 49 bucks worth of Nav update I was told it was no
Longer available.

When I get a break from babysitting twin grandsons who are crawling all over me as I type , I’ll have abash at following Graham’s instructions

Peter
By Boxkite
PeteSpencer wrote:
Boxkite wrote:

Mr kite : I am fully aware of the differences you allude to :
Peter

Maybe not:
PeteSpencer wrote:...... Just logged in to my Garmin account and tried to buy system software update:
One doesn't 'buy' system software updates for the 296. :wink:
Semantics: v.1 of my post said ‘get’, but I guess for emphasis of my (incorrect as it turned out) belief that navdata was no longer available for purchase, in v2 , I used the word ‘buy’.

Bad mistake

Peter
By RisePilot
- you can buy NavData for the Garmin 296; however you will need to install it manually as the newer web-based FlyGarmin does not interreact with 296 models

- you will need the “unit ID” of your 296 as all databases are device specific

- you can do the manual install with your cable and computer; you will need the “code” from Garmin which you will have access to after purchase

- as noted above this a single file; they update it every 28 days (update as you wish).

- The NavData covering the UK/Europe is the “Atlantic” database
RisePilot wrote:- you can buy NavData for the Garmin 296; however you will need to install it manually as the newer web-based FlyGarmin does not interreact with 296 models

- you will need the “unit ID” of your 296 as all databases are device specific

- you can do the manual install with your cable and computer; you will need the “code” from Garmin which you will have access to after purchase

- as noted above this a single file; they update it every 28 days (update as you wish).

- The NavData covering the UK/Europe is the “Atlantic” database

That possibly explains why, after paying my £40 and downloading the update and all the gizmos and buggering about for two hours, I still get 'unknown error, update failed' (or words to that effect for the pedants.)
How exactly do I get the code from Garmin? Every channel I've tried meets with a wall of silence.

EDIT Nearly got there: got the code for manual download, ignored the 'untrustworthy' windows warning, downloaded the update, then:
Error occurred communicating with your device', so no further on.
Losing the will to live: Will try and get my £40 back tomorrow.Losing the will to live right now.

Peter
By zarpilot
Peter, I also tried updating my 296 last night. I only tried updating the software as I've not purchased navdata or any other updates yet. Software version is 4.8 and should be on 6.10, so looks like previous owner really didn't bother keeping it up to date. :(

Tried running the update through web updater (it picks up the device) but as soon as you start the upgrade process the 296 just goes bleh... and gets stuck with "loader" on the screen. I also tried the freestanding 6.10 executable that I downloaded from their website, but that fails in pretty much the same way. I thought it was perhaps a newer Windows 10 issue, but seems unlikely. Still scratching my head on this one.