Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
I bet Mr Ackroyd didn't know he was to appear in fourteen different poses. He's sorted for Facebook profile pictures for the next few years anyway.

Rob P
2Donkeys, skydriller liked this
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Joking aside, a Kemble with AV8 reinstated and RNAV approaches will be a thing of beauty! At the risk of offending @kanga, one of the reasons I often fly to Gloucester is that the weather is too poor for Kemble and Gloucester has IAPs where Kemble currently comes up short.

Looking forward to seeing how they deal with the RNAV Approach/FISO challenge that the rest of the world finds so easy, and which is still a relative rarity in the UK.
Lefty, Ben K, kanga and 4 others liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I based my Archer at Kemble when first we moved to the Cotswolds and my move to Staverton was all about flying IFR and the fact that Kemble was closed due weather too often. Ironically I flew the aircraft out to its new home when the aerodrome's main runway was closed due snow!
By CloudHound
We’re making good progress with the work to notify IAPs for Kemble. Have a look at the CAA airspace change portal https://airspacechange.caa.co.uk/organizationsearch/

Not that there’s any airspace to change. Just designing an instrument approach to both ends to regularise the situation still requires the full panoply of a CAP1616 process.
kanga, johnm liked this
By NDB_hold
I really hope someone gets IAPs approved without full ATC - I don’t mind if it’s Kemble or someone else (though Kemble is close to home so would be handy!) We desperately need a proof of concept to open the floodgates elsewhere and reduce the problem of controller shortages e.g. Shoreham
By Gertie
Rob P wrote:I bet Mr Ackroyd didn't know he was to appear in fourteen different poses.

Maybe he just knew what he was about?

Top Tip: when the local rag takes a photo of you, get them to take several, with different poses and expressions.

I got that one wrong once. The local paper took a photo of me looking happy to illustrate a positive story, but they re-used the same photo for years to illustrate any story in which I featured, no matter how sad or negative.
Rob P liked this
By CloudHound
NDB_hold

If only it were that simple. As a colleague at the CAA once said "When you've seen one airport, you've seen one airport."

Shoreham had an RNAV(GNSS) IAP at both ends. They wanted to improve operability by moving from the existing non-precision approach (LNAV) to Localiser Precision with Vertical Guidance (LPV). However, there are obstacles i.e a ruddy gert hill, in the way.

Losing the ability to offer the level of ATS the CAA require at a licensed aerodrome has put paid to their aspirations but in principle it could still happen.

As for the next aerodrome to be able to offer such approaches without a full ATS, Sywell is my best bet with Wycombe next.
By CloudHound
Correct Ice,

But the CAP725 process has been tortuous because the provision of ATS at the start didn't include an App function and Twr was Vis not Instr. And the DOC was too short.

It's 4 years since Dave Philips, me and various other luminaries sat in on the kick off meeting so please forgive my failing memory.
Iceman liked this