Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By lobstaboy
Another insert in a magazine - this time from airspace4all.org/nav - with tips for effective use of GPS and how to integrate it into visual navigation using ground features.
And again I have to say that I find this helpful and common sense.
I like in particular the stress on using good visual ground features as turning points ie not waypoints that are only known to the electronic device.

What does the team think?
By PaulB
... so long as you don’t want to go to Coventry (which I believe hasn’t changed)

An other omissions?
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:What does the team think?

Difficult in IMC or over large stretches of water.

Or even large stretches of Hampshire.

Other than that, as you say, common sense.

Not that I've read it, just gone on what you've said! :D
By GrahamB
I’ve read the guide. It is stuck in the past in insisting that a marked up paper chart should be the primary means of navigation, but then completely omits vertical navigation from the marking up process.

Neither does it mention that a good GPS moving map will include a profile view to aid avoidance of airspace vertically, both in planning and flight mode.
skydriller, PaulB, Ridders and 1 others liked this
By letpmar
I’m glad it is not just me that thought the insert was living in the past. Why can we not start using GPS as primary navigation. Of course look out for ground features and try to know where you are in a real sense. There is no will from the CAA to reform airspace, so it’s only going to get more complicated and easy to make a mistake. It was stated at the last CAA talk I went to that you where going to be in more trouble if you busted airspace and where not using a GPS.
Flyin'Dutch', PaulB liked this
By johnm
For light aircraft there is only one sensible navigation system and that is GPS. Anything else is just playtime or back up.

I no longer possess a whizz wheel or an up to date paper chart. I use out of date paper charts to get a feel for the wider geography on long trips but detailed planning is always via computer or tablet and navigation by tablet and GTN.

I generally print out a plog so I have a list of headings and times and frequencies, but if I find myself having to use them I'll be in touch with an ATSU and they will know I have precision navigation problems.
By Flyin'Dutch'
The biggest threat to individual pilots is loss of control, the biggest threat to GA is infringements.

To mitigate against the first we have our biennial flight review which is mandated; maybe to mitigate against the second we need a flight review with sign off.

No point to go down the voluntary route, those who need it the most have the least insight they need it.
By Balliol
Some generally good stuff in it

I don’t know why they’ve replaced Heading with Track for the HAAT workcycle though and never mention Heading - we’ve always taught you need to select an appropriate wind corrected heading for your leg, and you can then check that it producing a good track on your GNSS. If you only think about track you will end up wandering all over / drifting. I’ve just dealt with one infringer where they didn’t appreciate a strong upper air wind and drifted at the start of a leg into a corner of Luton airspace.

I’m also coming to the conclusion that timing is becoming an irrelevance - no one practically bothers I don’t think, and actually what is more important is checking the leg distance remaining on the GNSS and having a quick mental cross check of that against plan.
I suspect we are now at a plateau in uptake, any further advance in GPS usage will have to be compulsory....
The sad thing is that the luddites don't realise how liberating it is to be able to turn up at an airfield, plan a route in a couple of minutes, including up to date notams and weather and maybe a PPR phone call and just fly!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this