Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Wellesbourne will continue as an active airfield for some time yet. :D

Whilst I believe the content of the Flyer article to be largely correct, I can state the headline is incorrect and there will be flying in October.

The tower is concerned that Flyer magazine, through its' unfortunate choice of headline, could inadvertently lead pilots, drone operators etc. to believe there is no aerodrome traffic zone and, consequently, lead to an increase airspace infringements.
Wellesbourne will remain an active aerodrome until notified by notam to the opposite.

As to the politics of the situation, I will not comment.
flybymike liked this
By KeithM
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Viva77 wrote:Wellesbourne will continue as an active airfield for some time yet. :D

Whilst I believe the content of the Flyer article to be largely correct, I can state the headline is incorrect and there will be flying in October.

The tower is concerned that Flyer magazine, through its' unfortunate choice of headline, could inadvertently lead pilots, drone operators etc. to believe there is no aerodrome traffic zone and, consequently, lead to an increase airspace infringements.
Wellesbourne will remain an active aerodrome until notified by notam to the opposite.

As to the politics of the situation, I will not comment.

Yes, I can certainly see the logic there.

It still leaves the question as to who will be able to continue to operate from there after September 30th.

One hopes that the answer to that will be “everybody”.

It is also possible, even likely, that certain information is not being divulged in view of the sensitivities involved whilst certain discussions are taking place.
By KeithM
Communication just received.

Tenancies expire on 30th September and 29th October.

Tenants have been advised that if they fail to vacate by the due dates they will be evicted.

The landowners are also claiming their legal fees to the tune of £238,000 from the tenants plus back dated rent increases dating as far back as 2016.

This is additional to the tenants’ legal costs already incurred.

Whilst it does not name the businesses involved, I would assume that these would be both remaining flight schools/clubs, the aircraft maintenance facility and the cafe.

So, make of this what you will in terms of the airfield’s short and long term future.

The Wellesbourne Crowdfunding page has been updated to reflect the current situation.

Financial support is still needed and I am advised that the fight continues.

Hear it from “the horses mouth” (forgive me, Mike!) at

http://www.SaveWellesbourneAirfield.com
By johnm
There are words to describe the landlords which I won't use on a public forum. Suffice to say if they turned up at a dinner where I was a guest I'd make my excuses and leave.
KeithM liked this
By Lefty
johnm wrote:There are words to describe the landlords which I won't use on a public forum. Suffice to say if they turned up at a dinner where I was a guest I'd make my excuses and leave.

I wouldn’t leave, I’d throw the food over him and force him to leave!
KeithM wrote:Communication just received.

Tenancies expire on 30th September and 29th October.

Tenants have been advised that if they fail to vacate by the due dates they will be evicted.

[prompted by the posting about the Hawk being Chinook'd from Boscombe to OLd Sarum ..]

Is the Vulcan, with its associated ground equipment, a 'tenant' ?

[.. and would it be possible to get a Ferry Permit to bring it to JAM ? :wink: ]
By KeithM
kanga wrote:
[prompted by the posting about the Hawk being Chinook'd from Boscombe to OLd Sarum ..]

Is the Vulcan, with its associated ground equipment, a 'tenant' ?

[.. and would it be possible to get a Ferry Permit to bring it to JAM ? :wink: ]

I believe that the Vulcan custodians are a separate entity but not sure about their situation . I seem to recall hearing, or reading, that both the Vulcan and the museum might have to move.

Good question.

Recent reports are suggesting that the airfield will be saved. I have no similar information regarding the tenants, though!

Not being directly involved in the discussions or the politics, I cannot comment further.
kanga, GeorgeJLA liked this
By KeithM
As a bystander, I cannot be alone in wondering why, if a landowner is not totally ruling out maintaining an airfield (as some reports have previously suggested) why said landowner would remain apparently determined to pursue eviction of the very tenants who, up to now, have been keeping it active and why said landowner would, at the same time, also be on the receiving end of a Compulsory Purchase Order?

I’m sure that someone would be able to explain it but that person certainly isn’t me!

I could speculate but that might not be appropriate under current circumstances and I could be way off beam.

And I have no intention of inviting either a reprimand or a lawsuit!