Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
See news story here.

For now this is FAA cert, but I’m sure they’ll be working in EASA which may or may not be of use.

Low cost, high quality glass for the certified market!

Ian
Dave W, G-JWTP, johnm and 1 others liked this
By akg1486
I didn't see the words "low cost" there. I saw "less expensive", which isn't quite the same thing. I realize the small number of units and the certification costs make a comparison with iPad and the like unfair, but avionics and the rest of the electronics world seem pretty far apart.

But if "low cost" really means just that, then hats off to Garmin and with hopes of European certification.
By PaulSS
They are lovely bits of kit but Garmin don't play nicely with the other children. Trying to hook up something that isn't another Garmin product is nigh on impossible, whereas the likes of Dynon, MGL etc are much more flexible on what can and cannot be plugged into them.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
A couple of thoughts...
- I think the 10.6” screen is just under $10,000. That’s low cost of certified glass
- Dynon has done a great development job, but Indon’t think has yet certified anything under EASA, and under FAA is getting the STCs one type at a time
- Garmin has launched with an AML STC that includes 500 types

I have no way of predicting the future, but I think Garmin will get EASA very of G3X touch and GFC500 autopilot before any other manufacturer

This level of competition and capability at this price point makes upgrading a sector of the GA fleet worthwhile.

Ian