Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
tomshep wrote:I expect that being a "pilot," and therefore a white collar criminal he will wangle an open prison. .

Being a “pilot” means he will get a custodial sentence.
A “car driver” charged with similar offences ( driving without due care/ no licence/uninsured etc) would not get a custodial sentence.
eltonioni, flybymike liked this
I wonder what reports will be presented to the judge as part of the evidence leading to the sentencing decision? There seems a lot of scuttlebut that this chap has been doing this sort of thing for years - including I saw somewhere else two people who died in an aeroplane he rented them that didn't have a valid CofA.

This is an area I have virtually no understanding of, beyond "judge gets reports, judge makes decision". But that seems to say that those reports are significant.

G
Surely the judge won’t take account of any of that unless it was raised during the trial. He will take previous offences into account and the other usual things like remorse etc.
Whether it's piloting, driving, cycling or whatever, if the law was some kind of strict liability that needed defending to prove innocence, competence,better decision making, etc, it might concentrate minds enough to save on or two lives at least.