Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By EthanKing77
I am writing a feature-length screenplay that involves the protagonist travelling in an aircraft from a private hangar in London to a remote area in the Jerusalem Hills. Does anybody know how the pilot would be able to travel undetected for this flight path to be possible? Also, would they be able fly this distance without stopping?
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The few airports in Palestine are probably barely usable by a flexwing at the moment. The commercial airport closest has a got a lot of someone else's military hardware on it.
By Lefty
EthanKing77 wrote:I am writing a feature-length screenplay that involves the protagonist travelling in an aircraft from a private hangar in London to a remote area in the Jerusalem Hills. Does anybody know how the pilot would be able to travel undetected for this flight path to be possible? Also, would they be able fly this distance without stopping?

I did almost exactly the same journey in 2017 - White Waltham to Paphos in Cyprus in a Cirrus SR22. Our original plan was to fly all the way to Amman in Jordan - with a quick stop in Haifa Israel. Unfortunately, when we got to Cyprus we learned that our request to enter and / or cross Israel had been refused (Despite having complied with all Israel's (very complex) procedures.

I can help you more if you email me at tom - at - mccormack - dot - co - dot - uk.

Essentially to fly 2000nm non stop, you would need a long range jet aircraft. No standard light aircraft could do the journey non stop. I would also very much doubt that anything bigger than a tiny model aircraft could get through the Israeli air defence system, which is recognised as amongst the very best in the world. A long range jet would be quite difficult to land in a remote area of the Bethlehem hills.
By Dominie
EthanKing77 wrote:I am writing a feature-length screenplay that involves the protagonist travelling in an aircraft from a private hangar in London to a remote area in the Jerusalem Hills. Does anybody know how the pilot would be able to travel undetected for this flight path to be possible? Also, would they be able fly this distance without stopping?

You really need a new story line - if you do this we'll all be throwing things at the screen! :lol:
By neilmurg
Lefty wrote:Essentially to fly 2000nm non stop, you would need a long range jet aircraft
Isn't Katamino(sp?) fitting long range tanks for a 2,300nm range? Or any round the world pilot wanting to fly the Pacific (there's an ex-RAF guy prepping same).
For stealth you need low-level and plane made of wood, plastic and/or doped cloth, at night, with a quiet Rotax engine. I would not fit and turn on a Mode S/ES transponder...
Last edited by neilmurg on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Josh
Your chances of getting an aircraft undetected into Israeli airspace are approximately zero. Your chances of getting an unidentifiable and unresponsive aircraft over Israeli territory without being shot down are very low indeed.

Their security requirements for scheduled and unscheduled commercial operations are not for a public forum, but are pretty impressive. Sorry to rain on your parade!
By Pete L
If I recall correctly, for LVGZ you officially only need to communicate with Egyptian authorities. And if the occupying power felt minded to comply with ICAO - have they filed a difference - you could land at one of the couple of remaining airstrips on a 3rd freedom overflight. It's a flight I'd like to make.
By Katamarino
neilmurg wrote:Isn't Katamino(sp?) fitting long range tanks for a 2,300nm range?

Yes; but in my C182 there's now only room for me and a toothbrush alongside the tank and the pump setup!

I'm setting out tomorrow at dawn to fly 2,100nm non-stop from Daytona Beach to LA, so will report back on how practical it is... (plenty of people have done it to fly from Hawaii to California though).