Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Specifically for Le Touquet because of previous problems I've always sent out and back FPLs before departure from home, then check with nice girlie in office on arrival that tower has my return FPL. Only once was it not there and like Frank, the office resubmitted it to tower for me there and then by fax so we could enjoy our day out sans hassle.

Peter
By Lefty
IIRC correctly this was a more prevalent problem 4-5 years ago. I haven't had a problem in the last 4-5 years (doing 20 + trips per year).

As others have said - for trips of less than 3-4 days, I tend to file both the outbound and return flightplans before leaving the UK. You can then just phone the BRIA if you need to change your return takeoff time.

If you want to be 1000 % sure - then SD gives you the option to add additional addresses to your flightplan. You can always add your return airport as a direct recipient.
So long since I've flown abroad - someone remind me of the protocol please....

Arriving in France one must phone to close the flight plan. In the UK, it's not necessary. Is that correct?

Certainly when departing a towered airfield on a flight plan I used to check in my radio call for startup that they had it. Saw enough irritated looking pilots returning to the L2K apron to learn that lesson. I think once the L2K tower didn't have mine and I had to phone the BRIA who re-sent it to them - sorted in a few mins.
defcribed wrote:So long since I've flown abroad - someone remind me of the protocol please....

Arriving in France one must phone to close the flight plan. In the UK, it's not necessary. Is that correct?

Correct except that at most French airfields large enough to have a customs presence they also have an ATSU who will close the flightplan for you.

There is no requirement to close a flightplan in the UK. But remember you must send a GAR four hours before your planned UK landing. No GAR requirement outbound.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By GrahamB
defcribed wrote:Arriving in France one must phone to close the flight plan. In the UK, it's not necessary. Is that correct?

Q1 - only when there is no AFIS/TWR to do it for you.
Q2 - correct, although strictly speaking you should make a ‘responsible party’ aware of your ETA, so they can alert the authorities in case of non-arrival. I believe you can nominate someone in Swanwick to do that, but I’ve never followed that up.
I hate L2K with a vengeance.
last time I went there we went through the old " we haven't received your flight plan " (it was an internal flight , well hop really.)

Having spent ages blocking the frequency whilst he tore me apart over the air for everyone to hear he threatened me that I was going to be grounded untill the last flight of the day to leave .
I can't print what I told him.
Does he wear jackboots ?
By Lefty
defcribed wrote:So long since I've flown abroad - someone remind me of the protocol please....

Certainly when departing a towered airfield on a flight plan I used to check in my radio call for startup that they had it. Saw enough irritated looking pilots returning to the L2K apron to learn that lesson. I think once the L2K tower didn't have mine and I had to phone the BRIA who re-sent it to them - sorted in a few mins.

G, you need to attend our “Flying Overseas” workshop next Thursday 21st at 19.30. All will be revealed.
You should have had an email from the club.
Lefty wrote:

G, you need to attend our “Flying Overseas” workshop next Thursday 21st at 19.30. All will be revealed.

I didn’t get an email, have they gone out?
By Lefty
TLRippon wrote:
Lefty wrote:

I didn’t get an email, have they gone out?

Yes - last week.
I’ll register you - Just show up.
Food from 18.00
TLRippon liked this
Last year I had a 'no flight plan' on the ground in L2K.
Having experienced it once many moons ago, and having heard many pilots get grief in various formats over the years, I wasn't quite expecting such a friendly RT exchange with the tower.
I told him I'd use SD from the a/c to refile. (Fortunately I hadn't started up yet).
Less than 10 mins later he called me, said he'd received my FP, Start approved, taxi to the hold and hoped we'd had a nice day in LTK.
Nothing to complain about there. Very cheery chap.
:D
I did wonder If he'd somehow located my original FP but technically I would have been borderline late on departure for that. :D